Dovetail

Hi gang, Looking for some help, I am making a cedar lined oak hope chest for my grand daughter, she will graduate in 2008, and have a plan for chest with three drawers, and plan to use dovetail corners on them and I can't remember where I had seen it, but do recall seeing a "heart shaped" jig, any ideas where I can find a jig for heart shaped dovetails???

Cheers, Thomas Cleveland

Reply to
THOMAS CLEVELAND

Hello Thomas, I'm typing too soon to find the article but in an old issue of Fine Woodworking there was a builder who used heart shaped dovetails and he called them "lovetails". I can not recall how he cut them. If I can find the article today I will let you know which issue and I can copy it and mail it off next week when I return to work. Leigh Manufacturing makes their Isoloc jigs that give you a rounded profile but theirs is not heart shaped. Marc

marc rosen

you might also want to read
which describes a (to my eye anyway) more attractive variation that was hand cut.

Reply to
J. Clarke

waggish. Bonetails? Now that just sounds dirty...

RicodJour

After you consider the dog bone style, take a look at:

pin & crescent style that has been around since the '90s...1890s. It was popular for about five years in that period, and recently, Woodworker's Supply decided to produce the jig. I think the result is not quite heart shaped, but is about as close as the dog bone, and I like it better. I have NO idea whether the jig is easy or hard to use. It looks simple, but that's catalog copy: I've written enough of that to know that sometimes what is simple to the copywriter isn't simple to the end user.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Unfortunatley I have not seen a dovetail jig, but hand cut ones can be found here:

Bryan McCormick

Google "Heart shaped dovetails" lots o' links.

Try this > Hi gang,

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That Taunton link is the same article I wanted to find for you. So now I don't have to search for the issue. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Leigh jig looks great. The video mentions the adjustment, but is not demonstrated.

My concern is that the process may be a bit more difficult/subject to error than the video would imply - disclosed.

Has anyone sufficient experience with this (pretty expensive) setup to comment on thier experience and ease (or lack of) use?

Same goes for the Route-R-Joint Precision Dovetail Joinery System at:

Hoosierpopi

I have both. I bought the Leigh D4R recently (last spring) but received the Woodline Rout-R-Joint as a gift several years ago. The Rout-R-joint is relatively easy to use, but it doesn't always make very tight joints, at least not for me. I like it's ability to make some of the more unusual styles of joints, including one that slightly resembles a heart. It comes with a very thorough video, but no manual is provided with it.

The Leigh D4R makes absolutely perfect dovetail joints. I made perfect through dovetails on the first try and found them to be quite easy to do. The half blind dovetails require some experimenting to find the correct bit height but this is necessary to do for all half blind dovetail fixtures. Once you do this and write the height measurements down for each size dovetail bit that you have you can then easily repeat the set up and make perfect joints every time. The Leigh jig requires a slight learning curve but if you follow their very well written manual and make a few practice joints of each type with it you will be very happy that you bought it. The adjustable width pins and tails ability is probably it's greatest feature, and the fact that it can cut through, half blind, and sliding dovetails without buying any additional attachments makes this jig stand well out in front of the others and well worth what it costs. The Leigh jig has options to allow it to make other styles of dovetail-like joints called iso-loc joints, but none of these resemble a heart pattern.

My Rout-R-Joint system is available if anyone wants to buy it from me.

Charley

Reply to
Charley