Doug Fir an allergen?

I have what appears to be a developing infection under my right eye but there is no obvious scratch or other route for an infection.

This started appearing late in the day yesterday, a day I spent chopping down 2x8 DF joists with my CMS.

I've never had anything like this happen before while working with DF but things change as we get older and the saw is a recent addition so my position relative to the work is different.

Can anyone tell me if Douglas fir is a known allergen or has some other toxic properties?

Thanks Much.

Reply to
Archangel

Don't have the MSDS :) but I've certainly never had any reaction other than sawdust odor makes me sneeze more than some others. Most conifers have enough pitch that may bother some people but old Doug Fir would be pretty unlikely culprit I'd think....

Believe I'd probably ask for medical opinion if it doesn't clear up on its own shortly...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Infection is not allergy, as you know. However, it is a real common thing for a tiny splinter to develop a bit of festering pus if neglected, and DF has a bunch of those available.

You were cutting old wood? Had you considered spiders or mites?

Reply to
George

As you may already know, a dose of over-the-counter Benadryl will usually knock out most minor alergy symptoms. If that spot is a hive, the next time you get a similar reaction it could be worse, so I agree about getting that medical opinion.

Reply to
fredfighter

And a dose of Benadryl knocks me out for the day, too... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I pretty much ruled out a spider bite, but mites I hadn't considered. There must have been a thousand of the little guys in lowest level of the stack... A testament to how slow this house is coming together.

I managed to get in to see the new nurse practitioner at my Dr's offices yesterday afternoon. She's very cute and lacks the bad attitude I've come across while dealing with most NPs at my PT job. She agreed that the affected area could be a developing cellulitis and put me on Keflex (antibiotic) as a precaution.

Thanks for all the input.

Reply to
Archangel

it can be. I've had DF splinters get nasty, and the dust is a mild irritant. it takes quite a bit of it to set me off, but with enough exposure it does.

Reply to
bridger