Double-Sided Tape for Routing

When using a template, it is often suggested that one use double-sided tape to affix the two pieces together. At the end of the operation, it is assumed that they are easily separated without leaving patches of tape on either surface. What is the name of tape used for routing applications (e.g. carpet tape, mounting tape or whatever) and where does one buy it? I've seen 3M's mounting tape and carpet tape at Walmart, but those items do not appear to be easily removed.

Hopefully, it's not only available in wood working stores.

Reply to
<tefgaf

Carpet outlets/stores. Try to find the cloth backed tape which is stronger and tends to hold better. For light duty projects, the standard borg carpet tape (vinyl backed) works okay but for heavier duty routing - get the good stuff.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I just did this on Saturday night with about 12 pieces (half MDF half pine). I used the carpet tape found at Home Depot in the isle with all the different tapes (near the paint mixing station in mine). One thing I found is that I didn't need to use a whole lot. I had a template that was curved (like a slow S) and about 13" long. I used 2 pieces of tape about 3/4" x 1/2" in size (I just cut a 3/4" or so long piece of 1" tape and cut it in half. Then I stuck it to the workpiece, used a razor to pull the white paper off and then stuck the template on top.

Check to see if you can push the pieces off each other in the direction your rotor bearing will apply pressure as well. A couple of times I didn't make the pieces quite big enough and it pushed the template at the end of the cut and I ended up with a nice little gouge. But that won't matter it'll hide in a tongue/groove joint anyway.

I also put them in about 1-1/2" to 2" from the ends so that when I was done I could pull the template up enough to pull it apart (my template was 1/2" MDF).

Once pulled apart the tape usually was still on the workpiece and I just pulled it up with my fingernail (you could use the razor again, but since I'm distressing/painting these, I didn't care about extra marks from my fingernail).

Good luck, and if you're feeding this by hand on a table, watch that you use the right feed direction (almost sucked my hand into a groove bit one time when it sucked the wood right into the bit as I started to feed it -- still makes me shiver to think about it -- what a blessed novice I was!!).

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Just carpet tape, as you've already named. Get it at Wal-MART, or at Home Depot, or any other hardware store. It comes off easy enough, after a little coaxing. And I don't think that it leaves any noticeable residue...

- Todd

Reply to
Todd Seidenberg

Thanks for the input, I now know that carpet tape will do the job and it is readily available from local sources.

Sincerely,

TEF Erie, PA

Reply to
<tefgaf