double sided tape?

Page 1 of 2

Hello Everyone,
I am going to use a pilot flush trim bit for the first time. I need to attached my work peice to the template for the bearing to follow but do not want to put fastener holes in the work peice. Has anyone tried doulbe sided tape? Is the LV turners tape the way to go?
TIA John
John wrote:

Of late, I have been making heavy use of double sided tape when working at the router table. I fashioned several different sized pieces of hardwood plywood, inserted t-nuts and use screw-in handles. This way, I can lower the piece that I am working on onto a spinning bit and keep my fingers at a safe distance. The tape that I use comes from Woodhaven. I have no experience with LV turners tape, but it sounds like a viable choice if it is used on lathes. My only negative happenings have been with double sided carpet tape, which has parted company in a humid environment at the most inoportune moments.
HTH
Godzilla

Just go to Home Depot where they have, in the flooring section, two different kinds of carpet tape.
One is a very thin plastic material and while it holds well it's sometimes difficult to make it release.
The other is a woven fibreglass material that holds quite well and, with it, it's a little easier to pry your pieces apart.
It takes surprisingly little of this stuff to hold parts in place for pattern routing. I usually dont tape more than about 15% of the surface area.

This is the same stuff used to hold Canada together
http://www.googlesightseeing.com/2005/06/07/scotch-tape /
John wrote:

Get yourself as much double-sided tape as your budget can reasonably afford. The stuff is useful in so many ways you will be astounded that you were ever able to get along without it. Only drawback is that it is pricey. But then, what is the price of a finger?
Use the cloth back double sided carpet tape, the "normal" (no cloth doesn't stick all that well.

i'm a biiig fan of the lee valley double-stick tape. i've tried the carpet tape from home depot ... no more. lee valley all the way. it's far superior imho.
--- dz
John wrote:

John says...

The Lee Valley tape is some sticky stuff. The most annoying thing about it is getting the covering off. I usually use two small squares. At the rate I'm using it, it will last a couple years. It won't let loose until you pry it apart, assuming you don't leave sawdust on the wood or something equally ridiculous.
The stuff I use comes from the local machinists supply place. 3M paper based. Use at work (in a machine shop) and at home. BTW, did you know that it will hold a part for milling?

not
sided
I use it at the machine shop to hold annoying parts and parallels in place while tightening the vise. Keeps them from shifting or pinching fingers while changing vise settings. I also sometimes use it to temporarily attach a paper template to keep track of dimensions.
Hax Planx wrote:

I have found that it is easier to start the cover peeling by spearing it at a shallow angle with my knife point, then lifting. Nearly impossible to pick the edge up with my clumsy fingers.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Thanks. That sounds like a good tip.
Slice it at an angle across the middle of the tape. Lift edges from there (with knife point).

not
sided
News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Yep, works great. Just don't use too *much* or you'll break your template trying to separate them. Three-inch strips, four to six inches apart, should be plenty.

I wouldn't bother. I just use double-sided carpet tape from Lowe's, not even the heavy-duty stuff, just the regular. Never any problems, other than the first time when I ran a strip the entire length of the template because I feared that less than that wouldn't be enough to hold it down. Then I spend the next twenty minutes separating the workpiece and the template.
--
Regards,

I have a roll of carpet tape. It's expensive, but it is lasting a long long time and I'm amazed how often I use it and how strong it holds without marking the stock. Sometime taking pieces apart can take some doing.
Know any printers? Ask them for a couple rolls of paster tape.
jc

Poster tape has a foam core and is totally unsuitable.

doulbe
Not poster tape, paster tape. Printers use them to attach two rolls of 100" wide paper running at 7,000fpm on the fly. It is great stuff for attaching templates. And it's *very* thin. Not at all like poster tape. More like masking tape thickness.
Joe C.

When I worked the webpress - that was a very tense time. Try to run the roll down low enough to minimize waste but not to run it out.
I was amazed at how rarely the web broke during a roll change.

Were you running offset or gravure? Worked many a summer and Christmas break on the National Geographic presses, both offset (ads and covers) and gravure (articles), mostly as material handler. Interesting stuff.
By the way, I'm sure the material handlers never bribed you to miss the occasional paster on a really crazy day, right? right??? ;-)
jc