doors

Hi All, a mate of mine has been looking for plans for making doors, does any body here know where I can get my hands on any? (solid and with glass wooden door plans) Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

I dunno where you can find plans, but can offer some advice on building a door. I recently completed a mahogany entry door with full glass for a Frank Lloyd Wright home and had a great time making it. A door is really just a frame held together with, in my case, mortise and tennons. For my door, I planed the mahogany to 1 3/4" thick and ripped the stiles and top rail to 5 1/2" wide. The bottom rail was close to 12". I cut the mortises with a router and a straight cutter to 2 1/2" deep by 3 1/2" long by 1/2" wide. I chose to make loose tennons and joined it all together. The most important thing is to make a dead flat surface to assemble the thing on. A warped door is no good to anyone! Also check for square. The joinery should pull the frame square, but check anyway. This should get you started on the basic construction. I'll post some pics of the door on APBW, feel free to ask if you want more info.--dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Reply to
Eddie

Sorry, it should read ABPW. as in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. It's a sister newsgroup where one can post pictures of their work. Enjoy! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson