Door 'saga' continues.....

Hi all, My wife and I have decided, after some research to buy a solid birch door for our 70"x31" basement application. We want to give it a ledge and brace look. I figure I can apply some kind of planking to the exterior(of course making allowances for the door frame, etc., and I'm not concerned about additional thickness, there is plenty of room). What could one use as an 'applied' material that would resemble planking without it getting the final door to be TOO thick? Chas
If you can't make your own, you can purchase 1/4" thick stock (2' to 4' long and widths to 5") from the borgs. Aspen and poplar are typically what I've seen available. The "ledge" as you say, is this for a split (Dutch) door or are you referring to the center rail that goes horizontally across the door?
Bob S.

"'applied' material that would resemble planking "
Cut the plank on a bandsaw to 1/4" , plane, sand and apply?

Not split, one near the top, the other near the bottom. Who are borgs? Chas

Home Depot, Lowes, etc.