Door Panel Question

This may be a stupid question, but this stupid person doesn't know the answer.
When making panel doors, do you glue the panels in the slots or not glue them? I thought I recalled reading/hearing about not gluing them to allow expansion/contraction movement, but I have also seen videos of people gluing them.
Thank you
On 12/24/2013 12:41 PM, Meanie wrote:

You do not glue them if they are real wood. You can put a dot of glue in the middle of the top and bottom rails. so that the expansion is toward the edges.
If it's ply you can get away with more gluing.
--
Jeff

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 12:48:47 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

Plus glued in plywood panels become structural elements so you don't need quite as strong construction. With a 1/4" wide glue surface all the way around each panel, even stub tenons are enough.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

I like to glue them at one spot - bottom center - to keep them from shifting if I can't use a compressible spline all around to allow them to move, bur self center.

Another thing that is popular among many is the use of panel barrels. Nothing glued in place, but they keep panels centred.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pX675&cat=1,250,43298

The panel is going nowhere. It need no glue. Especially no glue if the panel is solid wood.
On 12/25/2013 12:20 AM, Leon wrote:

Agreed! Also don't see the need for Bucky balls or barrels when common ordinary weather stripping or screening spline works just as well...
--

Digger
Bob O'Dell