door lock mortice router

hi is there a router and jig to mortice for door locks (like the basta 2 lever locks) or do i need a morticing machine?
I would not try to create the cavity for the mortise lock with a router. If you are going to attempt it without the proper (expensive) tool, you can do it the old fashioned way. Drill multiple holes to the proper depth with an auger or a paddle bit. Use an appropriate and sharp chisel to remove the webs to create the mortise. The router with template would be a good method to establish the case rim and scalp plate mortise.
The proper tool is here: http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&p (46

On 20 Nov 2005 14:01:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I've never seen one.
Check around and see if any of the rental places have a mortiser that you can rent. Also, check with either the place where you bought the door (if it's a new door) or the place where you bought your lock to see if they have a source for a mortiser. They may also be able to prep the door for you. The mortise can be cut with a drill and bits but it does take a little experience (with a drill) and even more patience.
Mike O.

What a silly question to ask of a group like this. "Do I need a morticing machine?". Well of course - any new encounter requires a new machine to do it properly.
I have in the past though, mortised more than a couple of these with a simple chisel and hammer. It's not as bad of a job as you might at first think.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

It was a joke.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On 20 Nov 2005 16:01:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Because we always need a new machine...any new machine.
Mike O.
On 20 Nov 2005 16:01:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com scribbled:

'Cause any new project provides a good excuse to add to your toy, oops I mean tool collection. :-)
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
ok I thought you were serious. I found this http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/Lock_Jig.html I wonder what kind of router would i need to use this I have a small router with a 6mm collet. any reccomendations on a good router? the locks i wil be fiting have a 2 1/2 inch deep body. Luigi Zanasi wrote: