Door knob latch hole is too big...

I am trying to replace a door knob for a very old door and it seems like the latch hole for the door is very big compared to the new knob latches they make nowadays. Its much easier to make something smaller, but here its the opposite. I am wondering if i should get a new door or are there workarounds this issue?
Thanks.
P.S. Here is a pic of the latch hole, its the 9th picture from the top and has somone with a chisel on it:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/doors/knob/install/new.htm
The pic caption says: "The we used a 1" wide chisel to carefully cut out the recess for the latch".
Its that latch hole that is at least 4-5inches long in the old door and the knew knob i bought has a latch that is only like 1.5inches long.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Also, you may want to look at the "Commercial" latches. They are typically longer than a standard door latch and available at the borgs.
Bob S.