Door hinge mortise:

I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea how to set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on the right track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the results are not good.
Sal
sal wrote:

I have no experience with the job, but I have a feeling a picture is worth a thousand words. I would suggest seeing if there is something on YouTube.com
Good luck! Bill
sal wrote:

For not much money you can get a routering mortise jig, probably at the box store.
Hold on people I just realized I was lazy, googled and found a lot of info also cheap mortise jigs so please ignore.
Sal

Here you go, in januwine Chinglish!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP26gvWDXoc

And one in some kind of English:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYReLwLucLE
(His definition of "flush" differs from mine.)
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Sharp scribing knife and an even sharper chisel. Rough to within 1/16" of the scribe line and pare to finish -- making the first chop at the line mashes it and spoils the fit. That last 1/16" pops off square, clean, and dead on the mark.
Yep, and my router plane assures equal height in the mortise assuring a flat plate. I like this thing.
On 6/28/2012 5:52 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

On 6/29/2012 10:04 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

Router planes (like the Stanley 71 and 71-1/2) are wonderful tools.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Easier to fine tune the cutter depth than a tailed router.