Door Hardware problem

Not sure if this is considered a woodworking problem but here goes. We installed French Doors in our livingroom. The stiles are only 3 and one half inches in width. As a result we cannot find hardware that will fit the doors without the back plate of the doorhandle protuding slightly past the wood stile and covering the glass by about 1/4 of an inch. A 2 and 3/8 inch backset is too long. Hope this makes some sense. My wife prefers a brass handle type as opposed to a door knob. Can someone suggest a dealer or website where we could find some specialized hardware to accommodate our problem? We live in the eastern part of Canada but close to the U.S. Thank you. Bob mcK. snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca

Reply to
bmck

Most that I'm familiar with are made with the standard 2 3/8" backset. Going from memory from a long time ago, that was not always the case.

this is not suitable, talk to a locksmith. they would know what is available on special order or perhaps an antique set with the old mortise style lock.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I AM a locksmith... and they ARE available but are a pure pain to find... I believe the BS is 1 3/4". I ALSO personally have never had to get any, however...

talk to the speciality door hardware places around IF you got one, second would be the OLDEST locksmith shop thats near-this is a case where you need the guy with the store front... if that dont work... there is a newsgroup... alt.locksmithing...

search on google in THAT newsgroup for narrow backset locks-that problem HAS been discussed there before.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--