door casing

Hello,

I'm planning on replacing and retrimming various doors here.

Currently the trim is a basic 1 1/4 plain casing. I'd like to go with something a bit more decorative, and a bit wider as well.

The problem is that a couple of the doors are pegged dead up against walls with no room for wider casing. I'd really rather not have two doors drive the casing choice for the entire house. I'd really really rather not (and won't, at least not at this point) move the door openings.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I don't believe you can just rip the casing down to width as that will force an odd miter angle which will stick out terribly. Just try and use a narrower trim that roughly matches the profile of the wider one?

thank you for comments ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

It is not rare to see casing beads ripped to a narrower dimension in a corner where the full size does not fit. Same miter joint on the trim, just have to trim one end short. Plan on a bit of painter's caulk to close any gap.

DanG

Actually, that is exactly what I did.

I ripped 1 piece of trim to exactly fit the width of the wall and cut a =

45 degree joint.

I cut the other piece to go to the adjoining wall and then cut off only = enough of the 45 on it to permit the vertical trim piece to properly = join.

To my inexperienced eye, the result seems quite pleasing.

BTB I am using 2 1/2" oak trim.

--=20 PDQ

--=20

Reply to
PDQ

Just rip the vertical piece as required, keep the 45 degree at the top and trim the end of the horizontal piece across the top.

Reply to
TaskMule

yah, i see it now. obvious once you see it.

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Any chance you can use a door 2" narrower? All the interior doors in my house are 3' 0" and going to a narrower door wouldn't be much of an issue...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

nah, the trick mentioned will work just fine

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

That man is on the ball....mjh

Reply to