Door Bell Chime Cover

My wife has been asking me (bugging me?) to make her a wooden doorbell chime cover for over a year. Well, I can finally scratch that one off my list. Made from scrap cherry and walnut. M&T construction. 1/2=94 square holes were added to allow the sound to exit for efficiently.

See here:

At the bottom

and here:

GarageWoodworks

Was it hard drilling those square holes though?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I punched the perimeter of the square with my 1/2" hollow chisel from my old delta mortiser attachment. I drilled out the center with a

1/4" forstner bit and worked my way out to the line with a chisel. I then punched the rest out with my hollow chisel. I had some minor chip-out on the inside, but you would never see it.
Reply to
GarageWoodworks

re: "I had some minor chip-out on the inside, but you would never see it."

You might not see it, but I'm sure you degraded the sound quality of the device.

P.S. Nice idea. I'll be going through the scrap bin this weekend.

That diamond pattern matches perfectly with the pattern in the windows on the new entry door I installed this weekend.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

properly) overlooked ... with the mere addition of skills, talent, time, and motivation ... can wind up looking so damned nice!

Great job!

Reply to
Neil Brooks

See here:

At the bottom

and here:

you for a year? Heck that was a 20 minute job for you. (G) ww

Reply to
WW

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:20:46 -0600, the infamous "WW" scrawled the following:

Cute, but looks too simple. I'm wondering why it wasn't done in a pegged M&T with walnut pegs. It looks like it could be simply butt jointed. Pegs and proud thru-tenons would have shown your work off.

finished it. What did the old chime cover look like, Brian?

Not if he dadoed the walnut panel in. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It was plastic. The jpg file was named wrong.

The panel is in a dado. It was constructed using loose M&T's.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks