Door Bell Chime Cover

My wife has been asking me (bugging me?) to make her a wooden doorbell chime cover for over a year. Well, I can finally scratch that one off my list. Made from scrap cherry and walnut. M&T construction. 1/2 square holes were added to allow the sound to exit for efficiently.
See here: http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage2.php At the bottom
and here:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/ringer_before.jpg

It sure looks better than the typical piece of plastic used for most covers. Was it hard drilling those square holes though?

I punched the perimeter of the square with my 1/2" hollow chisel from my old delta mortiser attachment. I drilled out the center with a 1/4" forstner bit and worked my way out to the line with a chisel. I then punched the rest out with my hollow chisel. I had some minor chip-out on the inside, but you would never see it.

.
re: "I had some minor chip-out on the inside, but you would never see it."
You might not see it, but I'm sure you degraded the sound quality of the device. <g>
P.S. Nice idea. I'll be going through the scrap bin this weekend.
That diamond pattern matches perfectly with the pattern in the windows on the new entry door I installed this weekend.

Amazing how something so simple, so utilitarian ... so easily (and properly) overlooked ... with the mere addition of skills, talent, time, and motivation ... can wind up looking so damned nice!
Great job!
My wife has been asking me (bugging me?) to make her a wooden doorbell chime cover for over a year. Well, I can finally scratch that one off my list. Made from scrap cherry and walnut. M&T construction. 1/2 square holes were added to allow the sound to exit for efficiently.
See here: http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage2.php At the bottom
and here:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/ringer_before.jpg
Bugged you for a year? Heck that was a 20 minute job for you. (G) ww
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:20:46 -0600, the infamous "WW"

Cute, but looks too simple. I'm wondering why it wasn't done in a pegged M&T with walnut pegs. It looks like it could be simply butt jointed. Pegs and proud thru-tenons would have shown your work off.

That looks like the same cherry/walnut cover you made, but before you finished it. What did the old chime cover look like, Brian?

Not if he dadoed the walnut panel in. ;)
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

.
It was plastic. The jpg file was named wrong.

The panel is in a dado. It was constructed using loose M&T's.