Donkey's-ear shooting board

Why is a donkey's-ear shooting board called a donkey's ear? :-)

Horse's ass was already taken...? ;) I have no idea why it's called that. I also have no idea what it is, so I don't feel too bad about it.
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:59:44 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Likely because of the angle formed between the boards (viewed from the end). Looks a bit like the ears on a donkey if you use a bit of imagination.
A shooting board is a jig used for planing - and a donkey's ear shooting board is used for cleaning up mitered joints.

Which brings up a question I have - isn't it a chuting board? The plane rides in a chute, right?
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary Chute Shoot\, n. [F. chute. See Chute. Confused with shoot to let fly.] An inclined plane, either artificial or natural, down which timber, coal, etc., are caused to slide; also, a narrow passage, either natural or artificial, in a stream, where the water rushes rapidly; esp., a channel, having a swift current, connecting the ends of a bend in the stream, so as to shorten the course. [Written also chute, and shute.] [U. S.]
They say right in the definition that it's an inclined plane. :)

I can't argue with that. :-)

I can. I believe the inclined plane in that definition refers to one of the so-called simple machines, and is just a basic ramp with a slope to it, rather than a woodworking plane.
B.

This was just a fun post. I still am curious where the name originated.
I did make something similar and with my BU jack plane was able to easily miter joints on some molding.