Don't waste your time with MN Woodworking show

I paid my $5 to go to the Minnesota Woodworking show today. I thought it might be worthwhile. It wasn't worth the $5. The show was put on by Rockler Hardware.

It was like paying to shop at a Rockler store with lots of extra sales help. There were not a lot of demos of any cool tools or things like that. They had a few good deals on big iron compared to regular Rockler prices, but you could probably beat most prices online.

They also had lots of small items on sale, but you couold get the same or better deals at other places on most of the stuff.

The only reason to go would be if they are offering a seminar you want to see. I saw at least one I would have gone to if I was there at the right time.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Thanks for the tip - figured that might be the case. I can't wait for the next real one - looking for the Incra and Jointech demos. I think we're stuck waiting until the fall.

Reply to
auto119042

I have to disagree with you. I am from out of town, and we (wife and I) went and thought it was pretty good. You are right on your points, but it is nice to talk with reps, and actually put your hands on tools. I also like to pose questions to them that have come up here. I watched the demo on "rustic furniture", probably have no desire to make any, but I like to see how it is done and ask questions. My town doesn't have any "woodworking" stores so I like to make the most of these sessions. The reps seemed fairly knowledgeable, and friendly. I did take my coupon sheet from the show and stopped at a Rockler store and saved $30.00 on a $100.00 purchase. That was sweet. Overall my trip was more expensive than if I would have stayed home and ordered thru a catalog, but my wife was happy she didn't have to cook, she got to go shopping, and relax for a weekend. I thought the admission was fair, and it didn't cost anything to park so overall not a bad deal. Sales person at Rockler store said the regular "Woodworkers Show" didn't want to do one now so Rockler decided to take it on themselves. Could it be improved, yes, but not bad for the first time!

Reply to
toolmiser