Don't try to do this, and move your shop at the same time ...

This was an interesting, last minute addition to a kitchen Leon and I recently finished.
Client insisted upon a back-lit shelf to show off some art glass pieces. Your wish is my command:
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996144099114402
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996130222675010
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996113229378594
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995217651021170
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995283515524130
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995838485545330
(Yes, the camera in my DroidX sucks bananas!)
Solid hard maple shelving; 1/4" Lexan polycarbonate sheeting for light diffusion; with lighting built-in to wall behind; magically hanging on non-square, non-plumb, curved wall, with NO visible hardware/means of support insisted upon; ... and oh yes, the piece has to come off the wall easily, and the Lexan must be able to be changed if accidentally scratched in the future (if I told you how I did it, I'd have to kill you) :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

OK, so you scribed it to the wall, and I saw the mortises for L- brackets, suckah, and I'll bet there were some Franch cleats back there on the bottom, too. (Pffffft!)
Looks good, though there is some concern about the intensity of the fluors behind that thing. Was that the camera being blown out, or is it a bit bright?
-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I am guessing the droid camera phone takes into consideration all of the ambient lighting. Metering on the case and locking in that exposure would have probably resulted in a more realistic result.
On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

+10 on heavy duty "L" brackets, one leg thereof installed under the drywall at the bottom of the unit. Top is held to wall with shorter "L" brackets oriented in the opposite plane, they did not need to be hidden due to the proximity of the ceiling.
Unfortunately, French cleats would not have worked well in this situation for a number of reasons, mostly to do with casting shadows.

It's not that bright in actuality, the POS camera caused to the light to bloom.
Actually, I've decided to have professional photos done for this particular project since it has plenty of unusual design elements that took a good deal of head scratching for both Leon and I to effect ... the suspended peninsula cabinet, with that stainless steel foot and hidden suspension system; and this shelf, being just two of the more visible elements in that regard.
All in all, an interesting, and challenging, project.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

How shallow is that light box? So, did you slit one side and allow the lexan to slide out from the side in order to clean it or to change lamps?

OK.
Yeah, produce a nice little brochure pic for your mobile electronic brochure.

I can imagine. I hope you made more than a buck on it. ;)
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer
On 7/14/2011 1:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The dimensions of the unit are 8 1/2" x 45" x 45", with each square being 14".
The Lexan has a 1 3/4" space behind it and 6 1/4" in front of it. It is mounted over a cavity in the wall for the lighting and electrical. It would be even better if there were more space behind it, but walls are only so thick.
The top is the same dimension as the sides, except it is two pieces, separated by a 1/4"+RCH slit for the Lexan to slide into ... a tight fit, but part of the spec. (mind out of the gutter, guys!) ;)

mas or menas ... not much to it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Oh, did you gut the studs? It appears that the lamps are horizontal.

Doesn't light escape from the top that way?

I believe it's "mas o menos", and half a day's pay is better than a KITN, wot?
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer
<snip>

Can you get some home design journal interested??

It's a great project, and, as Larry intimated also, I hope you made good money on it as well ...
On 7/13/2011 7:37 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996144099114402
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996130222675010
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996113229378594
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995217651021170
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995283515524130
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995838485545330
Looks GREAT! Nice balancing act with the clamps. :~)
I personally think the case would look better with nothing in it.
On 7/13/2011 7:37 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996144099114402
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996130222675010
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628996113229378594
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995217651021170
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995283515524130
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5628995838485545330
I think the top edge of the Lexan is probably exposed on top and slides out the top once the unit is on the floor.
I wonder, and I know you had no say in the matter, if you could mount a concealed lamp on the top edge of the Lexan to carry the light through its edge rather from behind it. Different colors, etc.

Looks like a project to be proud of.
JoeG
Purty....