Don't have clamps big enough...

Page 2 of 2

Forgetting about the tension when you undo that rope clamp?...Priceless.
Yeah, nothing like coming up with a good solution, then watching that good solution beat the hell out of your table top spinning at about a bajillion rpm ;-)
Not that thats ever happened to me.....
Joe C.
wrote:

twist
snipped-for-privacy@SBCGlobal.net says...

I just read a lot of responses waiting for somebody to suggest that :-). Thanks, Joe.
BTW, that's called a "spanish windlass".
And another suggestion is band clamps.
In both cases, a scrap piece to protect the ends is a good idea.

trucker's tiedowns with a ratchet tightener

That's more than enough justification for most of us.
We're talking about $3.50 for a pipe clamp, and $12 for an 8 foot pipe. It will cost you more if you trying to rig something together that pops loose 10 minutes after you get it set and have walked away, and your project is ruined.
Kevin in Bakersfield

I have five-foot pipe clamps (actually 66", owing to the vaguaries of standard pipe lengths), plus a few nipple/coupling combinations I've built up as the need arose.
Though all my projects lately have been rather large, making me think that perhaps some 90-inchers are due me after my next big lottery win.

hmm.. hard to explain and my ass-key sucks, but here goes:
you can throw together a few plywood or other scrap extenders...
the simple ones are a 5 or 6" wide piece of ply with a cleat running along the two sides, one cleat on "top", the other on the other end, opposite side, or "bottom".. sort of like '-------, that?? make the bottom cleat to fit the breadboard, the top one to fit the type of clamp you're using.. Sometimes these work best if you just use one at the end of the clamp that's too short, most times, I like one at each end for equal clamping angle.. YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Pipe clamps are cheap and with a little scrounging you can get the pipe for free.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland