Don't buy Jet tools at WW

Page 3 of 3
On 5 Jan 2004 13:08:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com (Chris) wrote:

Our local Sears dosen't sell what I consider major power tools. They've got hand held power tools, and things like lunch box planers, but never at a better price than the mail order joints or discount tool houses.
However, aside from a wicked deal on a Jet JTAS w/ 50 something inch fence, router lift, and Bosch router, most stationary tools were available cheaper elsewhere than WW's going out of business sale.
For example, the Jet 6" jointer was marked down to $499. A local, single store shop, has it for $439, every day. The Jet 18" BS was marked down to $979. The other guy sells it for $959, every day.
Barry
(Chris) wrote:

Unfortunate use of the term "major power tools" on my part. Not being in the market for any MAJOR power tools (such as a cabinet saur or other big iron) I was referring to hand helds and specifically a "lunch box" planer which I AM currently in the market for. My opinion on those stand though. The prices at Sears are a little better than the pre-bankrupt prices at WWW. And lo and behold, in the mail yesterday was a 10% coupon for any item at Sears.
Once the discounts had progressed to the 20-40% range at my local WWW there was not much left. Which again makes me wonder who was buying all of this stuff at 10-15% off with option for returns? I was interested in a DeWalt Planer (floor model), which for only 15% off is not a bargain to me. Can't return it if there is a problem and no box to ship it back to DeWalt if I needed service.
-Chris
Not to change the subject, but you're right on the prices. I just bought the 10" Jet Contractor Saw (JWTS-10JF) for $472 (tax included). Cheapest I could find it anywhere was $599.
The only catch is you have to pick it up (not a problem for me) and it's on back order until Feb 3. Not to mention I had to call Jet for question as most sears salespeople don't have a clue. But for that price, I can deal with them.
Scott

IS no

Got a Jet 3 HP Cabinet Saw for 30% off... thought that was pretty good. ;-)
John
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:41:51 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

Where do you guys live that Sears carries this stuff?
Barry
The only think I've seen in the Sears store is a Jet drill press. I found the Jet Contractor TS at Sears.com. Then I went to the store and had them order it. Had to pay up front, but I got the sale price and discounts. I haven't seen any Jet cabinet saws on their website thought. Just contractor saw and band saw.
SK
in message wrote:

;-)
in message wrote:

;-)
I bought the saw at WWW... the local Sears sometimes has the contractor's saw in the store along with drill presses and a few other Jet items. However, they never seem to have anything but the entry level Jet tools, e.g,. contractors saw with stamped steel wings and Jet fence vs. the cast iron wings and XACTA Home fence.
BTW, WWW called me this morning and told me they came up with the XACTA II Commercial fence and table for the saw... got that stuff for 50% off. Overall I got about 36% off on the saw and fence combined. I also beat Amazon/Tool Crib by about $460 (with Amazon's free shipping and no tax vs. having to pay tax at WWW taken into account).
I hate to loose that store but I cannot complain about the deals at the end... I found out tonight that two of the guys have been offered jobs at another local store (which they accepted). I'm glad for them as they had provided me with good service for a long time. I wished them well and thanked them for that service several times over the past few weeks.
John
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:18:02 +0000, DEin2000 wrote:

caveat emptor
Whenever I buy something, I check the vendor's return policies first then shipping/handling costs. I ask questions until I am satisfied.
To do anything less is asking for trouble, but you already know this.