Dominus Vobiscum - now - DOMINO Go Frisk 'Em

Growing up Catholic, towards the end of the All Latin Era, the phrase "Dominus vobiscum" was familiar. Similar to "the other latin" - spanish's "Vaya con Dios", it basically translates to "Go with God" or "The Lord be with you".

Now any Catholic kid will tell you that it REALLY meant was "Dominic - Go frisk 'em." - as in - time to take up ANOTHER "collection".

Well, thanks to Festool, it's now DOMINO Go Frisk 'Em.

Now relative to the purchase price - even the Introductory Price - the price of a metric caliper and a metric ruler are going to be small change. Now ideally, it would be nice to get one of those digital calipers that can be switched back and forth between metric and inches, even better one that will convert decimal inches to fractional inches. The latter increases the price of course. Oh, and a metric tape measure. I can't "see" what 598 or 610 mm look like (it's a tad over\

23 1/2" and a smidge over 24" respectively.

Now I know I can get the converting digital calipers, at least the one that goes back and forth between mm and decimal inches - not usre about the fractional inches. But where in the hell do you get a 3 meter pocket tape, graduated in millimeters, in the USA?

BTW - those "loose tenon" Dominos - the disappear like M&Ms. Bonsai tables - 4 inch apron, 2 Dominos per end,

4/face x 4 faces = 16 Dominos. Now add one per end for each strecher and you use TWENTY FOUR - per table. (Thats FORTY EIGHT MORTISES for those who like numbers).

Did I mention that this thing doesn't care if your stock is a little cupped? Cupped or flat - the joints close - no "futzing" and forcing (you guys who have used a router and a mortising jig know what I mean). Probably should provide a caveat - this is true for widths at least up to

4" and up to 1/16th inch cup over that length.

Sure is nice to be able to reference off one face (same as router mortising jig) an EITHER edge of the part. Very quick and almost Idiot Proof (though I've managed to screw up a couple - of pairs - or mortises with the DOMINO.

Already am thinking about "modifying" the DOMINO stepped Fence to Mortise Centerline thing to fractions of inches or maybe decimal inches. Woth a 5mm drill bit and some thought I can probably make an "add on" to get the pins say 1" to mortise centerline. Still stuck with default mortise width of 18, 19, 21 and 23 mm - but it would be a start. Lot's of opportunities for some enterpreneur to come up with aftermarket Conversion Kits for the DOMINO. Anyone who can drop a grand for the tool will likely be willing to pay another $99.99 for a decimal inches Step Stops and a Slip On 45mm to 1 inch offset Burfle. Oh - and the clear plastic metric centering scale part - fractional inches please - in 32nds - at least.

Anybody?

charlie b

523.6 mm - what's that in Dog Years? Cubits? How about Furlongs (who the hell came up with that one?)?
Reply to
charlieb

My favorite (but ya had to be raised Catholic to appreciate it): "here comes spirit two two o".

Reply to
Swingman

Grainger has 10'/3m tapes.

Lee Valley has a teeny little 2m one and a bigger 8m one.

?c=1&p=32564&cat=1,43513Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I feel your pain Charlie. I have been consulting on a high end computer workstation model for financial traders. They all use a lot of flat panel arms to mount monitors all over this thing. All the LCD arms are metric. I have no idea how to marry the two or the dimensions required. The distributors and manufacturers were no help. These are high end LCD arms from Germany.

I had hell of a time trying to find a metric tape. I finally found a couple and they soon vanished. I bought a couple more and they also vanished. It turns out that everyone else involved with the project had trouble finding metric tapes as well. So they stole mine!

My solution came when I visited a Dollar Store near my house. They had about 15 metric tapes for a dollar each. I bought them all. I gave them away to whoever I was working with. Everybody appreciated it and nobody steals my metric tapes any more!

I also keep some metric - imperial rulers (and a metric tape) near the computer. I can then convert metric specs to imperial. That way I can see exactly what size something is. You would think that these manufacturers would care enough about the US market to make this information available on how to best use their products. But they don't care. Being metric is its own peculiar form of snobbery.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Or you have to enjoy listening to St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast (or any of its variations) by Frank Zappa.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Had to think that one through. Trinity - God One, God Two, God Three (God, Son of God, Holy Spirit)? Software, version 2.2.0? Then I remembered "Et cum spiritu, tu tu o". Now I'm gonna have to look THAT one up.

Wonder what became of Kerry A Elayeesun? I think she was sent off to Switzerland after graduation - something about a Finishing School. But I thought they were all in Finland. Now I'm confused.

Man was that girl stacked! Have to wonder how gravity has treated them - er - her.

Never mind.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Here's a caliper that measures in three scales.

Reply to
David

spirit two two o".

Funny how that stays with a guy. I remember waiting patiently for the "hominy" snickering away at out little joke, but knowing (thankfully) we would get a break from the unintelligible latin recitations.

On the other hand, the conversion to English made it seem like mass wasn't mass anymore. English just didn't carry that same weight. Now the old Irish priest reciting the mass in a heavy brogue... that was a real mass!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

.03937 is your friend

gets you to decimal inches. After that, you're on your own.

I usually just allow .040 per millimeter unless there is a large span or a need for serious accuracy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

George

Now the inches and tenths folding rule - 'nother matter.

Reply to
George

Ecum Spirit 2-2-0

Reply to
Mike M

SNIP

Wow! What a way of looking at the world.

Mike Brisbane Aus Changed from Imperial to Metric in the 60's - and no snob...

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Or you have to listen to St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast by Frank Zappa. Marc (who mposted a similar response earlier today but did not see it at this late hour.)

Reply to
marc rosen

Many years ago, back in Kentucky, my father and I were on the way to Mass one Sunday morning and we picked up Dee, an old farmer, who was walking to town. Dee's favorite activities were cockfighting and coon hunting.

Dee allowed as how he had never been to a Catholic church and he wondered if Father Beruotto would mind if he came to church with us. Dad assured him that it would be OK. This was back in the Latin Mass days.

After Mass, Dad asked Dee what he thought of it. Dee said, "Why Junior, I didn't understand a word he said."

"Well, that was Latin," Dad responded.

"I tell you want," Dee said, "when he stood up there in them funny clothes and held out his hands it sounded like he was singing 'My old Dominecker rooster'll whip your's I betcha.'"

Reply to
Olebiker

I have a couple of Stanley Powerlock 33-203 3 meter/10 ft tapes purchased in the US.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Spitz