Domino Bathroom Drawers

Page 1 of 3
Swingman and I have been working on a lengthy kitchen remodel and my portion spilled over into the bathrooms remodel also. I built the drawers, so far 23 for 3 bathroom counters. I wish my bath rooms had 23 drawers. And of course, 6 different sizes. ;~)
3/4" maple with 1/2" maple plywood bottoms, Rabbet corner joints reinforced with 6mm thick dominos. Strong!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471710794/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471707872/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471112571/lightbox/
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:58:32 -0600, Leon wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471710794/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471707872/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5471114935/#/photos/lcb11211/5471112571/lightbox / Damn, they look nice too.
basilisk

Thank you!

Nicely done.
I guess you wanted to hide them behind the drawer face at the front but they don't add any mechanical strength to the front in that configuration. This is surely no problem for a bathroom drawer but a large kitchen drawer that could get really loaded could use some extra mechanical strength to last through the years... don't you think?
One question. Is the mortise cut in-place for both pieces after assembly?

I like the way those Domino tenons look on the drawers. To me it kind of has a Euro feel to it. Is that a Leon original design?
It brings another question. Will they be visible when complete? Paint or clear/stain?
As always, nicely done!
Robert

I like the way those Domino tenons look on the drawers. To me it kind of has a Euro feel to it. Is that a Leon original design?
Euro hummmm. This is certainly not an original by me however I immediately started using them this way when I bought the Domino. I later read that others had been using the Domino's in this way also. Not totally unlike pounding in a dowel to lock things together.
It brings another question. Will they be visible when complete? Paint or clear/stain?
Swingman texted me indicating that they already had a nice off white look. LOL. I think when they dry they will have a clear finish.
As always, nicely done!
Thank you Robert!
Robert

There is indeed a drawer front, but it does not cover the domino "pegs" in the drawer _sides_, as the "pegs' are specifically there to provide provide _both_ mechanical strength to the rabbet joint, and a visual contrast ... see below.
This is surely no problem for a bathroom drawer but a

In the designed configuration as above, the domino "pegs" do indeed mechanically reinforce the rabbet joint, tremendously so.
But you're correct, I would not normally design/use this type of joinery in the typical kitchen drawer.
~ Background: All these kitchen drawers are 3/4" hard maple, half blind dovetails, with 1/2" A-1 maple ply bottoms mounted on KV MUV34 Undermount slides ...
<as you know, doing this kind of work, the drawer slides themselves are the 'tail that wags the dog' as far as drawer dimensions, their design, and very often, the type of joinery that must be used>
... with the exception of one drawer:
In the kitchen, a special, shallow kitchen KNIFE drawer was made in a similar fashion as first above because the drawer depth was simply too shallow for half blind dovetails with undermount drawer slides and a 1/2" bottom.
~ Upshot: The client love the visible domino "pegs" in the rabbet joints on the KNIFE drawer so much that she wanted all 23 of her bathroom drawers made that way.
(So happens "Beech" domino end grain closely matches the end grain of the hard maple half blind dovetails when finished with a clear lacquer ... whodathunkit?.)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Oops, I mis-read the photos. I thought the side sot where you can see the back and front loose tenon ends was a shot across the front face.
Now I like this 100%.
For this situation I won't start my rany about unpinned floating tennos being not the same as true pinned M&T ;^)

;~) If there is a way to present or take a picture that will be confusing, I'm your man. LOL

LOL 2-shey

I've been admiring those drawers very much, but a question popped up. If I may, please, Karl & Leon? Where are the half-blind dovetails? I only see very nicely executed and "pinned" rabbets. And I love that bright white maple!
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/25/2011 6:00 AM, Han wrote:

LOL ... I was onsite with an architect (normally not an enjoyable experience, but this one is one of the sexiest women alive) yesterday and she asked the same question.
Those damned domino pinned drawers are like rabbits with rabbets ... they were everywhere you looked!:
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw #
Scroll down to the last few photos and you'll see some of the REAL drawers in various stages of fabrication and storage. ;)
I'll get some better shots of them today as they are being sprayed with the final coat of lacquer today.
FWIW ... Their new home is almost ready ... drywall went up yesterday and floor floated, today the kitchen floor will be laid and Leon and I will level and set the bases for the base cabinets today:
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenDemolitionWallRemoval?authkey=Gv1sRgCODv4OKAraChgQE #
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw #
Can you get some shots of the final coat lacquered UnREAL drawers too? ;~)
On 2/25/2011 6:17 AM, Swingman wrote:

Curious...which dovetail template/system are you using (and why the particular choice if so inclined)? Thanks...starting a kitchen rework here and it's either go w/ something new or do the old-timey way which'll be long-time consuming that would rather not take...

Leigh Jig
On 2/26/2011 7:54 PM, Leon wrote:

That was my guess, thanks...I have one of the fixed-spacing P-C types which works ok but doesn't have the flexibility to deal with arbitrary spacing.

Fixed spacing is not absolutely a bad thing when it comes to consistent results. Swingman has lately been having problems with the fingers slipping and getting inconsistent fit results. I use the Leigh jig also however have not yet seen any problems. IMHO an adjustable finger jig with something more than a friction fit to hold the fingers would be a plus, thinking the Akeda, or something like the Akeda.
On 2/27/2011 9:57 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Indeed, I've heard that complaint before on the Leigh (maybe a conversation here w/ Swingman, who knows/remembers?).
I'm limited in this application to pre-ordained drawer heights and they don't fit the jig spacing well for most if not all so it's either get something else ready built or build jigs specifically for the runs (or, of course, cut them by hand which ain't bad except for the numbers :( :) ).
I'd kinda' forgotten the Akeda--seems like maybe PC has introduced something not too long ago, as well I think???
I've been on the barn and other big stuff so long I've not done anything smallish scale in number of years now...this has been pushed off for almost 10 yrs now...before spring planting season I'm determined to get at least going on it ('course, I've said that before, too! :) ).
On 2/27/2011 10:06 AM, dpb wrote:

My old Leigh D4 has been an excellent small shop production tool, but it has been used to build more drawers and cabinets than many will ever have to face, and the inherent problems with the design have become magnified in the both the hard usage, and the process.
charlieb, here on the wRec has an excellent treatise on his website on the inherent design problems with the various types of dovetail jigs that will be well worth your time to DAGS)
Bottom line is that I would have already bought the Akeda (based in no small part on charlieb's review) had it been available on this last job, but its production/availability seems to be sporadic last time I checked and none were to be had at any price.
Hope that has changed, or will change, because it looks like the way to go for the current "state of the art" of adjustable spacing dovetail jigs.
<unfortunately there is absolutely NO financial feasibility in doing small shop production runs by hand, regardless of the desirability of doing so>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/27/2011 11:58 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

It appears from another forum google found that as of a couple weeks ago the current owner of the the Akeda rights is hoping he might have production starting again by fall...all in all, the info I could find makes it look kinda' iffy at best that it will happen at all would be my guess.
That won't help much now, unfortunately.

For anything production, certainly so...I don't have to worry about making a profit here, but realistically on the time to ever get done w/ what _does_ have to get done for profit farming means it ain't feasible, here, either.