Doll Cradle pictures

I've been Googling 'till I've grown new callus on my fingertips, but I can't find a photo of a doll cradle I like. I've also searched for full-size cradles. I did find one Shaker antique that I *kind* of like, but I think I can find better. Everything I'm finding looks either crude or cheaply made, with little style.

I don't need plans, a simple photo will do. I'm looking for ideas that I can size to my needs. The only requirement so far is that I don't turn well, so a bunch of round spindles is out.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Reply to
B A R R Y

RayV

I can size to my needs. =A0The only >requirement so far is that I don't

Good move. Once you start spinning wood, it is hard to stop. If you get the turning bug, the cradle may never see the light of day!

I am >sure< you checked this, but a quick look revealed about 50 different styles. Since you don't need plans, and just in case you missed it, there is some really simple to exotic designs here:

this helps.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If you post this question in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, I'd be happy to reply with some picture attachments of a cradle I built for my grandson.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Reply to
Jack Casuso

can size to my needs. The only >requirement so far is that I don't

None of those grabbed me the first time through. It's probably just me.

I was hoping someone had a secret photo of something really cool.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Fri, Jan 4, 2008, 10:37am snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) doth publically admit: I can't find a photo of a doll cradle I like. I've also searched for full-size cradles. I did find one Shaker antique that I *kind* of like, but I think I can find better. Everything I'm finding looks either crude or cheaply made, with little style.

I must say, I'm shocked. LOL You probably know my views on cradles, but doll cradles are in a different category. First, I'd say make it a hanging cradle. Or a tall rocking cradle - there's at least one design out there. I've seen pictures of a cradle I think you'd like, but can't recall if it was in a book, or on-line. I'd suggest searching for "Viking cradle" or along those lines. I believe the cradle I saw was actually Norwegian, don't know if that would rate as Viking or not - definitely NOT crude, NOT flimsy. I have done searches for Viking cradles, can't recall why now, unless it was for doll cradle inspration, but found some great looking ones. GI Joe will never be the same. LMAO

JOAT You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up all night.

Reply to
J T

Not the one I was thinking of, but along similar lines:

And another:
I'da posted one of Henry the V's cradle, but it looked crude.

That's it for me, not sure what you're looking for. You're on your own.

JOAT You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up all night.

Reply to
J T

I suggest that you take a good look at a reason why a grown man just can't find the doll cradle he likes. I could understand it if it where for a child or a request from a child for her doll, but.......................

However, here is the one I built for my daughter. Then I modified the plans to make a matching crib.

Lou

Reply to
Lou

If I was a newborn I'd want to be hanging out in one of these:

ROY!

>You could add some scrolled cut-outs for more interest

The antique I found is similar, with some extra scroll work, and dovetailed sides. That's one of the directions I'm leaning.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I didn't get that one in my searches...

Thanks!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I'd appreciate that.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Possibly a challenge to build, as well.

Hmmmm...

Thanks!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Sat, Jan 5, 2008, 12:04am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@valid.com (ROY!) doth sayeth: If I was a newborn I'd want to be hanging out in one of these:

If "I" was a newborn, I'd want to be hanging out in the arms of a large breasted attractive young lady. I must be in my second childhood, because that's what I'd like now too.

JOAT You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up all night.

Reply to
J T

I just posted a couple that may give you an idea. I use store bought spindles on the one, but you could use flat stock and m & t them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My nephew and bride are expecting in July. I was all set to start fiddling around and doing a mock up of the above cradle when the whole project went to sh*t. It was my fault for asking them to look around and select a cradle design they would like. Don't you think they came back with the Rockler cradle plans. Average, run of the mill cradle when they could have had something uniqe with heirloom worthiness. Oh well, my bad for not just making what I wanted to make and let it be a surprise. Damn................... After I get their cradle done I just might make one of the design I like.... just for the hell of it...... and then make one like this:

ROY!

That boy sure seems to like pointy sticks.

Reply to
Tanus

I know this thread has splintered, but I thank all for the excellent suggestions!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)