Doinked by Delta, AGAIN!

A few months back, I bought an X5 bandsaw. Delta forgot to include the top plate for the cabinet, base door, and a bunch of screws, so I couldn't use the saw for almost a month.

Tonight, I started to assemble the DJ-20 I picked up last week. This time, I'm missing the drive belt, belt guard, screws, and push blocks.

They're excellent tools, once you get the whole thing!

Maybe Ryobi will fix penny ante crap like this.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

fsteddie

Any chance they are crammed up the dust chute of the stand? It seems to me that that is where mine were....

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

No, I checked there first.

Thanks for the tip.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Did you happen to get an extra motor pulley ???

My push blocks were also miss> A few months back, I bought an X5 bandsaw. Delta forgot to include

Reply to
Pat Barber

Their Killing Ya. I haven't started assembling mine yet. It is still sitting the garage. I have to move it down to the basement shop. And the electrician isn't coming for a couple of weeks for the shop. Ughhh. I better inventory this stuff this weekend.

Did you call Delta? What did TP say?

Hope all ends well.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

Sorry, only one.

I called Delta this morning. The first person I dealt with was a b-aytch! She rudely cut me off and told me the serial number, which I was reading directly from the machine, was incorrect, and not possible. She said it was impossible for these parts to be missing, and that I should take it up with Tools-Plus, who probably had my parts. I then mentioned my X5 band saw that was missing the base top plate, screws, and base door. Of course, Tools-Plus does not have my parts, but suggested that I try again with a different Delta CSR (or supervisor), and to contact them if I didn't get anywhere, and they would pursue it via their Delta rep.

I called Delta back 15 minutes later, and the second person was wonderful, took the info, asked me to fax the receipt to them, and sent an order number and approximate ship date for the parts by return fax. I should have everything next week.

TP shared a story where they recently sold a mid-line Delta band saw. The customer started to assemble the saw, only to find that it DIDN'T HAVE A MOTOR! Delta customer service tried to say that the customer stole the motor. Delta obviously has BIG problems, both at the packing / assembly point, and in customer service.

I'm done with them, forever. I don't care if a tool wins the highest awards and sells for half the price of it's competitors, the only Delta products I'm buying in the future will be used. There are plenty of other manufacturers of suitable woodworking gear out there.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

If you see some guy running away from your garage carrying a belt, belt guard, some screws, and push blocks, don't shoot, it's only me!

I promise I'll return them.

Good thing I didn't sell the Rigid yet, I have stuff to do.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
Mark L.

Both were.

An X5 band saw, and a DJ-20.

What's interesting is that the top of the DJ-20, the jointer itself, is imported. The "optional" base, packed in a second box, is made in the USA. All of the missing parts on the DJ-20 are supposed to be in the base box. The long, OSB crate containing the jointer was fine.

Come to think of it, I've only had problems with American made tools. All of my imported stuff from General, Bosch, Jet, etc... has been great.

Proud to be 'murican.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

funny you should have such a poor experience with rudeness of Delta's tech support. I've called them more than a few times , and have never been treated even REMOTELY rudely. Could it have been YOUR demeanor, perhaps? Just wondering, Barry...

dave

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hey Barry, ping me on the back channel.

UA100 snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I would wonder the same thing.

However, _I_ know that the CSR didn't pack the box, so I don't call them with an attitude. I usually have excellent experiences with customer service depts., so I really don't think it's me.

Recent contacts:

Delta on the bandsaur.: missing parts, decent contact experience. It took Delta a long time to deliver back ordered parts.

Lee Valley: box trashed by shipper (FedEx Ground) - perfect reship, excellent customer service experience. The CSR was simply a gem.

XM radio: Double billed for setup, quickly cleared up, had a great conversation with the CSR about Brian Leetch being traded to the 'Leafs from the Rangers.

Today with Delta: First rep - HORRIBLE, the second, a true professional.

I have all the respect in the world for customer service folks. They don't pack the box, they only get the backlash.

Keep this in mind Dave, I'm not done with Delta because some woman was rude to me today. I'm done with Delta because the $2200 in tools I've recently bought showed up incomplete and missing important parts that make the tool completely unusable. Others here, and my local dealers, tell of similar recent experiences. All three of my local non-BORG Delta dealers have mentioned frequent mispacks on recently sold tools.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

that sucks that you've had such poor luck with your recent tool purchases. The longest I've waited for parts was for my Powermatic BS, which is one of my favorite tools BTW. Being a new model, Powermatic didn't have much of anything in stock to service it. The items I wanted weren't show stoppers, so it was no big deal, but after 2 missed deadlines for the riser kit I got hot under the collar. Powermatic made me a deal I couldn't refuse. :) They are GREAT! I hate to get specific with what they did for me, lest everyone else here starts bombarding them with requests, but let's just say they did the right thing and reinforced my perception of them being a great outfit to deal with. My Delta experiences have been more erratic, but like I mentioned earlier, I was never treated rudely. The issue I had with Delta revolved around a vibrating BS...

Like the saying goes, "you pays your money and you takes your chances". Hope your luck improves, Barry.

dave

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

You know, personally, I would blame the store you purchased these tools at. I purchased a Delta 12.5" planer and the store I purchased it from didn't even give me the box for it! They supposedly only had that one in stock, and I was missing everything. Delta had no problem providing me with whatever I was missing. What I find more than anything now, is that stores open up ALL the merchandise that comes in to their stores/warehouses, empties out the contents, and decides what you are going to get and what they are going to keep. I had a similar experience with a cordless phone I purchased from another retailer. I didn't receive an English manual, but I did receive a French one. Yah! I received a 3" phone cord that would allow me to hook it DIRECT to the wall and mount it there. The phone was "BRAND-NEW" but I found phone numbers already stored in the "personal directory" as well as the call-display. Not to mention the "ink" that they put on the phone for the different numbers/letters was rubbed off already. I find this happens a lot lately, though. I purchased a futon and they INCLUDED two (2) allen keys. Neither of which actually fits the bolts they included to assemble the futon. But, what is really strange, the bolts are neither metric NOR standard. It is like they are using "half" sizes or something. I purchased a couple of security lights with motion detection, which with in sealed cartons. Neither of the two lights had all the hardware needed to install them. BOTH were missing the mounting bracket. Infact, they must not have even TESTED the lights, because they stopped working as soon as it got cold or started to rain. I took one apart a couple days back and the motion sensor was filled with water. I had an electrician over a few months back and when he looked at it, he told me it looked like it was manufactured for INDOOR use! What the hell do you need a motion sensor 1000W (two 500W bulbs) INDOORS for? I don't know if I would blame the company that actually manufactures the tools/products you purchase, more than what I would blame the stores you purchase them at. I blame the people they hire to work in the stores that sell the products. They steal parts out of the boxes. The ones that accept returns do not check to make sure everything that came with the product is being returned with the product. They are very misinformed about the products they sell, and I know more about what they sell than what they do. I had a salesperson at Building Box tell me that there is NO difference between concrete drill bits and HSS drill bits. It was just a clever marketing ploy to charge more money. I was looking for an odd-ball concrete bit that was 13/64th's or something like that. The guy tells me there is no such thing -- yet, I managed to find it myself on the shelf. The one good thing about stores like this, is they at least get the mentally challenged off the streets and working. AHAHA.

Reply to
Tom Martinello

They were different stores with absolutely no relationship, the boxes were factory sealed.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y