Doh!!!

Got delivery of a few new router bits today.

Individually packed.

Stapled containers. Got bored digging out all the staples. Managed it without injury.

Got first bit out to inspect. All covered in polygunk syntho-snot as usual. Insted of peeling it off, which in my experience is tedious and leaves bits still covered in gunge, I tried genly sliding it off, like a sock/condom.

Came off sweet as a bit, no residue.

3/8 straight bit.

repeated with 3/4 straight

1/2 straight

1/4 straight

all fine.

Even the next 63mm long 1/2" diameter was fine.

Pleased with myself.

Picked up 3/8 dovetail and carefully and gently started to slide the polysnot off..

Blood all over ceiling. 3/4 gash along tip of thumb.

Amusing hand-sucking Watusi dance...

This is a public service announcement. I did this so you don't have to.

Reply to
Bored Borg

Reminds me of the time I tried to extract a package from my private post office box after hours. The heavy metal frame for the mailbox prevented me from removing the box from the front. I whipped out my mimiature pocket knife and cut the box to allow it to move over the small protusion that was keeping it inside the mailbox. I slipped and sliced my finger. blood spurted out. I managed to catch the blood in a hankerchief and bound up my injury. I extracted the box and went home.

As for router bits, I have had similar experiences. I now place them in a vise lined with wood. I cut off the plastic coverings with a box cutter and remove them with a small pair of needle nose pliers. This is a no blood method.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hold it by the shank and cut it from the top down to the bearing (if there is one) inside of the flutes. A utility knife will go through the stuff like butter and not leave a mark on the bit. Stick the point of the blade in to peel up a corner at the cut and it comes right off, no blood or the stuff getting under your fingernails.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Mount the bit, gunk and all in the router. It will all come off as soon as it comes up to speed. I never clean that crap off.

Reply to
Robatoy

soon as it comes up to speed. I never clean that crap off.

Neat!

Why didn't I think of that?

Wonder how well it works on saw blades?

(My sharpening service dips blade tips after sharpening)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You'd want to step aside when you try a sawblade. Besides, my zero clearance insert won't let me mount the blade.

Reply to
Robatoy

clearance insert won't let me mount the blade.

Obviously have to stand clear of the "line of fire".

I'd either use factory insert (Delta C/S) or none at all on start up.

Once clean and with blade at rest, install desired insert.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There are far better ways to test sharpness.

It's funny how we worry about getting sliced and diced by a sharp chisel or a power tool - but don't even think about things that can do a number on you. My DUH! thing is nice square corners of long boards. Pick up a semi-lnig heavy board, let it slip in my hands to get it on the bench - or shop floor - and discover that even a 90 degree "bevel" can - and will - open up skin - especially that thin stuff between pads on fingers.

I tend to perform a modified version of the Hokey Pokey - waving the injured body part around - gracefully - but rapidly.

Reply to
charlieb

I found out exactly the same thing, except my slicer and dicer of choice were the 90° edges of the 3/8" acrylic doors on which I was using a scraper before going to the polishing stage. Only problem was that I didn't learn after the first few cuts and had to nick my thumb a few more times before my brain decided to play catch-up and make my hands be more careful.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote:

Guys, they sell work gloves for a reason.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:hGhZk.2391$QX3.1147 @nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Work gloves? These minor nicks and scars are a rite of passage. It shows we work in our garage and workshops, we don't just collect tools!

Besides, it's the stuff you don't think would be dangerous that gets you... (mutters to himself: darn gutter guards.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

What? Gloves? What kind of woodworker are you? Where's your loyalty to all those woodworkers of the past who worked with their bare hands and nothing else? How can I take pride in my woodworking accomplishments without having the scars on my hands to show that I've suffered and bled for my craft?

Bah! Gloves! I'm truly mortified that you'd make such an outlandish suggestion. . . . . Besides, I didn't think of using my gloves that were all of ten feet away.

Reply to
Upscale

I still carry the scar on my middle finger of my right hand where the prop of model airplane engine caught me when it backfired and I wasn't fast enough. (I was 13 at the time).

To paraphrase an old saying, "Do me once, shame on you. Do me twice, shame on me."

I'll wear gloves when handling raw stock and/or sheet goods.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Me, too. (TM, AOL)

I was checking how sharp a bit was by using it to shave/plane across a fingernail.

Guess is was plenty sharp, as was evident by all the blood that spurted out when my hand slipped.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thank you for your self sacrifice. It would have been nice if you would have done this BEFORE I changed the knives on my planer.

I sure hope you didn't drop the dovetail bit...

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

But if you wear gloves, how do you get those rust colored stains on your work that make everyone go, "Oooo! How did you do that?"

Len

Reply to
Len