Does this look safe?

Page 1 of 2
Not to me, it doesn't. Especially at 53 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rB4XhAaUA

I can't claim to speak from experience, but I will not be trying that method.
On 11/18/2014 10:04 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Not a problem with a sharp bit.
On 11/18/2014 11:13 PM, Leon wrote:

I'll bow to greater skill and experience then, but I still won't be trying it. I'm old enough to realize how easy it is to perform a repetitive task correctly *almost* every time; but this task demands 100%. The penalty for inattention isn't merely ruining a piece of wood, and one of my other pursuits requires ten functional fingers.
On 11/19/2014 8:42 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It is good to be leery. Dull bit are more likely to grab.
On 11/18/14, 10:04 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

That one finger is a little close for my comfort, but probably because I'm watching someone else. I *know* I've been that close before. With the stops on that guide and an anti-kickback bit, there's not much to fear if you're used to hand feeding stock like that.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/18/2014 10:04 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Nothing wrong with the method, but I personally do not like to get my fingers that close to a router bit without a bit of extra precaution.
That's why I made this to use in those situations, not that it makes that particular jig/method 100% safer, but anyone who has ever had a router grab a workpiece due to an edge grain issue will appreciate taking advantage of any extra safety edge they can get when routing:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#5684918957758552450
Woodpecker has always catered to folks looking to purchase shortcuts to woodworking when they could be honing another skill making their own jigs for the job. With just a smattering of ingenuity you can make a much safer router jig, using the same method to radius corners, and for far less than what Woodpecker charges you for that little piece of metal.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/19/2014 7:12 AM, Swingman wrote:

I needed to round corners like that, I'd make a much bigger template and hold the wood to it with toggle clamps. In my last foray into pattern-routing I even added handles to the jig:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/14316360681/in/set-72157644207411490/lightbox/
My fingers were nowhere near the bit *and* I felt like a had firm control of the piece.
For round corners, I saw a clever idea in a magazine: a rectangle of MDF (maybe letter-paper size) with each corner rounded to a different radius. One handy template for four different sizes.
On 11/19/14, 7:52 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I can grok.
A few years back I bought 1 100 or so old dorm desks (solid oak) at auction for $0.50 each, all had drawer dust panels made in part from masonite. Anyhoo, I have 100's of 17"x15" pieces of this stuff and it is the "go-to" stash for router templates. Thin double stick carpet tape, a spiral cut pattern bit in the router table and Bob's your uncle!
The key to making that cut in the video safer is to bandsaw close to the finished curve. Much less for the bit to grab and toss and less chance of splitting/tearout. Wood species also changes the comfort level. Cherry is wondeful, Oak is not too bad, Hickory and cedar are basically just scary.
-Bruce
--- ---

Man, scrolling through all those jigs you have, I'm wondering how you have time to make anything else. How do you keep track of all those jigs?
On 11/19/2014 7:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Everyone was made to solve a problem, or to head one off, and they all add up down through the years.
Many or just one-off's...
Just imagine how many there would be in that collection if mobile phone cameras and the world wide web had been around 50 years ago. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/19/2014 6:06 PM, Swingman wrote:

At least 2 brazilian !
On 11/19/2014 9:42 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It seems like it would be safer if there were some type of finger indent or wing on the side that would catch the finger if there were an accidental slip of the finger.
Would I use it? Probably, but I would think things through very carefully, and then concentrate on what I was doing, and not be listening to music or talking to a friend.
On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:27:32 AM UTC-6, keith snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net w rote:

Right! I'd be inclined to have something else as backup protection, that w ay (plus a little more distance). Never know, a little vibration, from a slightly dulled bit, would be something one may not pay attention to. I'm sure all the demo videos are with perfectly sharpened tools.
Sonny
On 11/19/2014 10:27 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Or an accidental slip of the *work*. I read someplace - maybe here - that you have to ask yourself what happens if something slips. "I'm not sure" is an unacceptable answer. I think about that when I find myself applying pressure toward the cutter. Only my grip on the work and the resistance of the work to the cut is preventing my hand from moving toward the bit or blade in an unexpected way.

A carbide router bit will slice through aluminum almost as easily as a hard wood. In fact I sometimes will use a carbide router bit on one of the CNC mills in a pinch of I can't find a carbide end mill that is perfect to do the job. I would not trust a finger indent to protect me at all. The red anodized finish is slightly harder, but it still won't even slow the cutter down. However making something like this with a handle and/or clamping rod so your hand is NEVER moving directly towards the cutter would not be too difficult. Sharp cutters would certainly be the ticket with any finished edge.

This jig for doing the job looks like it would be much safer: http://www.woodpeck.com/ottcornerjig.html
Considering the number of machined and anodized parts it looks like a fairly reasonable price. Especially for an American manufacturer.
On 11/21/2014 12:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

or may not ever become available again.

On a positive note, it would not be a difficult tool to make for anybody with a CNC mill or even a reasonably rigid CNC wood router.
On 11/21/2014 12:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

On 11/18/2014 11:04 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

But like most Woodpeckers products probably way over priced. Like the $100 T square.
--
Jeff