Does The 3M Sanding Mask Irritate Your Throat?

I wanted to put this question on the rec to find out if anyone has been experiencing the same issue with the 3M 8511, N95 dusk mask for woodworking & sanding. Over the past couple of months I have been working in the garage alot and wearing the dusk mask mentioned above. During this time period I have been experiencing an irritation in my troat. The feeling I get is like I have a dry spot on my throat that doesn't go away after I drink alot of water. I stopped wearing the mask for a couple of days and the symptoms went away. Just today I had to sand something and I put the dust mask on for 30 minutes or so. Sure enough I had the same symptoms again.
Does anyone else have the same issues with this dusk mask?
that's all I use and have no problems. I have asthma. Perhaps you are breathing through your mouth when using the masks? That'll dry your mouth out.
dave
x071907 wrote:

I meant dry out your mouth and throat.
Bay Area Dave wrote: snip That'll dry your

I did'nt experience the problem you are having but found them to be ill fitting. I use a mask from Drager International (Piccola N95 with Valve) About the same price and way better as far as I'm concerned. Don't know where you will find them though. You may have to google or ask around. Maybe surgical supply...
JohnV

I'm not sure about that mask, but if you find it irritates, you may want to try one of the fume type respirators ( AO etc) with dust cartridges on them. I find they tend to keep a moister atmosphere to breathe. (If that makes any sense) I think it is the way the rubber holds the moisture from your breath. Just a thought....
Paul

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (x071907) wrote in message

I have one of the 3M Respirators (not a dust mask) with filter cartridges and filters that can be replaced. Each time I finish for the day I put a quick squirt of Lysol spray in there. It likely kills what germs might be in there and keeps it from developing any odd smell. No throat problems at all. -- Jim
Sun, Apr 4, 2004, 1:14pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (jegan) says: <snip> filters that can be replaced. Each time I finish for the day Iput a quick squirt of Lysol spray in there. It likely kills what germs might be in there and keeps it from developing any odd smell. No throat problems at all.
I wouldn't use a mask, they never fit well. I believe mine is from Ace, with replaceable filters, the only way to go. I always wipe mine out after use, never have any odors, or throat problems.
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.