Does Purpleheart suck?

I got a slab of 8/4 purpleheart, and after a few weeks of sitting there I notice there's a lot of splitting especially on one end. I have it in a cool dry environment at a fairly stable temperature.
Is this normal for purpleheart? Does it often split and check at the end?
I'm going to lose (I think) around a third of this board.
er
--
email not valid

I would have sealed the end, but that's a lesson for next time, you could cut your losses and seal now.

Don't know anything about purpleheart, sorry. I had a large piece of mahogany, one third of it was split. I cut the split part off, and glued the two split parts together. Good as new. Might not be applicable to you if you have multiple splits.
I think that is unusual, I have an 8/4 plank in my shop that I've been waiting to find out what it wants to be for about 5 months and no probem. It's a dense wood and as such harder to dry, sounds like someone rushed yours thru the kiln.

"Enoch Root"

Nope, purpleheart is a very dense and stable wood. Although your piece may not be. I have a few 6/4 slabs (10"-12"x 60"-70") stacked and they have not checked any more that similar hardwoods have. Figure a project for it and cut your rough pieces, let them sit and wait until your ready to complete it.
Dave