Does Purpleheart suck?

I got a slab of 8/4 purpleheart, and after a few weeks of sitting there I notice there's a lot of splitting especially on one end. I have it in a cool dry environment at a fairly stable temperature.

Is this normal for purpleheart? Does it often split and check at the end?

I'm going to lose (I think) around a third of this board.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I would have sealed the end, but that's a lesson for next time, you could cut your losses and seal now.

Reply to
Dave In WA

Don't know anything about purpleheart, sorry. I had a large piece of mahogany, one third of it was split. I cut the split part off, and glued the two split parts together. Good as new. Might not be applicable to you if you have multiple splits.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
Max Mahanke

"Enoch Root"

Nope, purpleheart is a very dense and stable wood. Although your piece may not be. I have a few 6/4 slabs (10"-12"x 60"-70") stacked and they have not checked any more that similar hardwoods have. Figure a project for it and cut your rough pieces, let them sit and wait until your ready to complete it.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa