Does epoxy shrink? (Wood kitchen cabinet content)

I recently had new kitchen cabinets installed. I used some very nice pulls, frosted glass with brass bases. Everyone who comes over and opens a cabinet seems to linger their fingers over the pulls, remarking that they feel so nice.

The problem is that some of the glass parts have pulled free of the brass bases. I repaired some using epoxy, but they don't seem to hold up. I put one in my pocket yesterday to take to Lowes to see if they still carried them (they don't) and it broke. Pulled the glass right off the knob! This made me wonder if the reason they aren't holding up is that the epoxy is shrinking (or maybe expanding) during curing and stressing the glass so that any little bump breaks it. I know that hide glue was used for this property to make some types of decorated plate glass. You paint on the glue and as it dries, it shrinks and pulls a bit of glass from the surface.

Does epoxy change size during curing? And if so, is there another option for gluing glass to brass for my knobs? It looks like it's going to be near impossible to get more knobs, and I don't really want to replace all of the kitchen knobs after only 2 years, so I'm eager to find a repair option.

Reply to
Hitch

Yes, epoxy does shrink a little as it cures. I believe you'll find most glues will as they give up whatever it is that makes them runny.

Perhaps you could use something that remains slightly flexible. Silicone adhesive comes to mind or 3M 5200 which is waterproof marine sealant. It is hard to release if you ever want to. 5200 is white, though and this might be a problem if any of it would show.

g'luck.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Epoxy will shrink, but there are different types, you'd have to experiment. Without seeing what you're talking about, it's difficult to see how to fix. I might suggest the Gorilla Glue I thinks a polyurethane type glue, you activate it with a little water and it will expand so use it sparingly, but the shit is tough!

Reply to
M-14

"Hitch"

Forget epoxy, it won't do the job.

You need an adhesive like 3M-5200 or SikaFlex292.

5200 is available in small tubes at marine chandleries like West Marine.

Home Depot also has 10.5 Oz, caulking cartridges but that sounds like way too much.

Putty the glass back onto the brass and let cure at least a week, then reinstall.

5200 is a PITA to work with, but you can't beat it for a job like this.

Wear throw away gloves or you will be sorry.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Epoxy may or not shrink, but it definitely does not expand with temperature like brass. Using eposy for this application is a big mistake. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Epoxy ? I bet it's coming off the brass, not the glass.

Try a polyurethane, like one of the Sikkaflexs

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yep. Epoxy and brass just don't play well together - at least in my experience.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:14:59 -0800, the inscrutable Fly-by-Night CC spake:

Mine, either. (Right, Steve?) ;)

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

John - I can only speak to one epoxy because it's all I use - West System. I've used it on boats to fill bolt holes (mixed with micorblaoons) and to epoxy in where I've replaced bad wood. I've never seen this stuff shrink at all.

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey