Does anyone really find anything at flea markets?

Page 2 of 2

And ME! There is an antique show in Central FL a couple times a year that can be productive but mostly "valuable" block planes (missing parts) for $50 or transitional Stanley stuff. The regular flea markets in my neck of the swamp are similar to what you experienced.
Rob

Duke:
Who knows when these good stuff comes up? I know that there are antique tool flea markets, just check in Google or other search engine for a listing of societies that might be close to you.
In my local flea, I got a Stanley plane and some other things fairly cheaply but no "$5" bargin that turned out to be worth $1000 either. I haven't been back in more then a year, but I watch the garage sales listings in my area for the weekend and caught two woodworkers who were getting rid of their shops and got some good bargins there. Does your local paper list them? Mine does.
EBay has probably become the easiest way of looking for this on a consistent basis.
Good luck!
MJ Wallace
If you need it now you won't find it. I picked up a starrett 2 head (protractor, center finder and 12 in rule) for $30, square head was not marked. Stanley #98 twin beam marker $25. Look in order to upgrade not need now.

for
beat
WW
Can't say I ever got a deal on a tool. I did purchase a solid maple counter top though a couple of years ago. Inch and a half thick forty inches wide and twelve feet eight inches long for the sum of $20. Made a computer desk and a good work bench top out of it.
D. Mo
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:51:05 -0600, "Duke"

I've been to the Sweetwater flea market (east TN) a couple times. They have a tool section, but most of it is junk. Not bad for cheap drill bits, sanding cylinders, weird wrenches, screws, nails, and other odds and ends. Our sales tax of nearly 10% often makes it less expensive to order online--you save gasoline and time. Never had I found power tools of any quality or value.
I think that old tool dealers only sell at certain flea markets where there is a critical mass of old tool customers as well as other dealers to socialize and trade with. They don't want to pay for booth space if most of the customers are looking for scented candles, Donnie & Marie records, etc. There is supposed to be a major old tool flea market and auction in New Hampshire every year, but I don't know what it is called.
There is some more info on finding old tools here:
http://homepage.mac.com/galoot_9/hunt_tools.html