Does anyone in the Group Like This Format?

Page 1 of 2
Hi Group, Yikes! What the *&%$# happened to our group format. Not quite as easy to browse through the messages is it? I suppose I;ll get used to it after a while. Personally, I liked the old one much better! What does everyone else think? Stuck in the Past, Michael

Looks the same to me
I get here through Google, and they've installed a new *beta* version of Google Groups. Looks completely different, fewer threads on top, harder to navigate, and full of glitches--lost links, odd happenings (I attempted to drag a window larger only to have it disappear completely, returning me to where I started, only now 'where I started' looked different), etc. It is a *beta* version, but damn. . . . I don't like it.
Dan
But my posting gets posted immediately!!! WOW!!!
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

Yeah, not just Google posts, either - I'm posting through my NNTP host and it's showing right up on groups.google.com. For the rest of us, this means searching Usenet via Google will no longer be 8 hours in the past, which is cool...
-BAT
Brett A. Thomas wrote:

host
the
Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke don't fix it."?
FoggyTown
"foggytown" wrote in message

No shit! The number of posts change when you sort differently, and more than half of the posts by name that used to be there are missing.
I don't use it much, but will now use it less.
Progress ain't what it used to be.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

"Richard" wrote in message

the
Yabut, not in this case. There is apparently no such thing that even approaches "acceptable" from the current crop of ADD web "designers" at places like Goggle ... where commercial opportunity takes precedence over content, and ''whiz, bang and glitter' takes precedence over the logical presentation of information.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Well then, maybe they should ask for their money back for what Google is charging them...

Think about 'who pays for the work', and then explain _why_ you are surprised at the priorities. <grin>
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

surprised
No surprise at all ... twas merely an ongoing observation, based on perspective and participation (some willing, some reluctant, some forced), in a culture where the idea that pictures, once worth "a thousand words" will somehow be worth more and crowbar your wallet out of your pocket faster when flashing, when changing every 2 seconds, and when accompanied by sound effects not found in nature.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

(I
completely,
I also use the Google news and YES the new format Sucketh big time. It's their new format with more advertisements. They complicated a newsreader that was simple and easy. Oh well for now it's still free.
On 2 Dec 2004 04:23:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

mozilla has some good tools for killing the ads.
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

Why? Doesn't the gte.net NNTP server carry rec.woodworking?

--
--John

Never thought to look; just always used Google since that's how I found the WrecK.
Dan
On 2 Dec 2004 11:46:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (Dan Cullimore) wrote:

Try out a newsreader... you might like it better. I rarely even use the "web"- too many ads and other bs. And, you can access alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking then, along with all the other binary groups (something Google doesn't support) It's just as easy as setting up an e-mail account.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On 1 Dec 2004 22:20:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

Get Free Agent newsreader [www.forte.com]. You can sort by subject [simple then to delete crap by message header], enlarge a window at a click, or return back the same way ..... incoming email facility with Agent, but just outgoing in the free version, but who cares?
Steve wrote:

Looks like Google just rolled out there new groups stuff for rec.woodworking. Looks interesting, tho not that relevant to those of us who don't use Google to read newgroups. :)
-BAT

Ummmmm... "format"? This is Usenet. It doesn't have a format (other than line width), because it's plain text.
Instead of being stuck in the past, methinks you've upgraded something. That something makes your newsreading experience different. Start there, and work forward.
Kevin