does anyone have any "popular mechanics" from the 50's?

Hi all, I'm looking for a special edition of "popular mechanics" that featured an article with blueprints and all to make a stradivari violin (Messiah it was called) i know for sure that it was in the 50's, but that kind of stuff is impossible to find these days. any pointers would help...thanks
Jeff,
Try ebay. My cousin once found a 1944 issue of Life Magazine there that had special interest to her.
B.

Jeff asks:

Might be...try your local library. At worst, they'll have PM on microfiche, which you can search manually (you'll get the hang of it, and it's not as bad as it seems, though it won't go down as competition for a tight ball game). Some libraries may have it on computer these days.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
On 25 Nov 2003 01:26:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

[24241] Reid, Joseph V.. You Can Make a Stradivarius Violin. Chicago: Popular Mechanics, 1955. Pictorial Cover, HB. Near Fine / No Jacket. 48 pgs., near perfect copy, violin plans in front pocket
$45.95
http://www.bookcrazy.com/music.htm
Tom Watson responds:

Damn, Tom. I'd love to look at that plan, but I'll be dipped if my love extends to 46 bucks. Five or six, sure. That must have been an amazing issue. I probably bought it, back then, though I was making the transition to Hot Rod with great rapidity by that time.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Are you looking to make a Violin ?????

Yes, I am trying to make a violin, and to Tom (Thomas) J. Watson: I would never have thought that anyone would have that copy. I've heard that it's everything you need to make a "Stradivari Messiah" copy, but $45.95 U.S. which is like $100 Canadian after S+H is too steep for me for a magazine, even if it does have the blueprints. Thanks again though, I now have the exact date and edition, author etc..
George M. Kazaka wrote:

Good luck with the Strad replica. The controversy of what makes them so sweet goes on and on. If you are attempting to make one, I'm sure you've done a lot of reading. There is an interesting article a recent magazine, but I don't recall where I read it. Maybe someone else here can help.
The story was on a soldier that was in WWII in Italy. They had to destroy a 500 year old monastery to oust the enemy. He brought home a piece of very old wood (500 years IIRC) and used it to make a violin. It was his best work ever and it was stolen and never recovered. Ed
Well, I have read alot, and I'm gathering tools needed to make one, the things I don't have and can't make are: thumb planes, hide glue, a bending iron , a nice set of wood gouges, and of course the 200 year old peices of maple and spruce dried for a minimal 5 years. The thumb planes I will get eventually and I'm sure that someone in Canada sells Hide Glue. The gouges I will buy this weekend and I have priced the maple and spruce at about $130 Canadian. The bending iron, I am planning to build mysef.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If you need help go to dulcimercraft.com Jack Larwa who has the site makes violins and other stringed items and is always willing to help a beginner with any info he can. He even has some homemade finger planes etc that might help you.

It's *NOT* impossible to find.
But, it takes a trip to the library.
The reference dept will have a series of books called: "The Readers Guide to Periodical Literature"
Which lists _every_ article in every mainstream magazine -- by title, and cross-references by subject.
You may have to check a couple of dozen volumes, typically each one is only a 6-month span.
It is also available in book form. Here is one on eBay for ten bucks so far:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item570963753&category )332