Does anyone else choose shock this way?

I'm probably an oddball, but I'll share...
Am I alone in choosing stock from my pile via the "ugly" method?
First, I'll take the spectacular and/or unique boards and give them names, as book matched door panels, drawer fronts, etc... I think everyone does this, so this isn't why I think I'm weird.
For the remaining stock, or all of the stock for trim / finish work, I find it much easier to start with the least desirable stock and least visible parts. This earmarks the boards with defects, quickly removing them from the pile. Barely usable stock goes to totally hidden parts or the jig / burn bin. As I move backward towards the most visible area, I'm left with the best quality material.
Once upon a time, I used to try to pick the best stuff and start there, but my definition of a defect or desired color or figure would changing during a project. I've found this method to narrow down the pile, and markedly improve the final result.
Thoughts? Flames? <G>

I usually choose shock depending on when I want to swim next. If I think it'll be later that day, I use shock and swim. If not until tomorrow, I'll use the more potent and cheaper regular shock.
Oh, your message is talking about stock, like wood selection! Oh! I get it now, that's why it's posted here and not rec.swimming.pools
My wood selection usually involves looking for a piece close to the size I need. I am a master at using cut offs and reusing wood from other projects. I'm not building fine furniture, so I can get away with quite a bit of "utility" wood in the project. However, I do have a project that's going to involve a half sheet of Birch plywood... when the weather cooperates.
Puckdropper

As I see it, since the Subject line was/is about "shock", and B A R R Y goes on to talk about "stock", the body of his post is totally off-topic. Now I realize B A R R Y is rightfully granted a certain amount of margin here, owing to a ridiculous amount of talent and skill he has, but listen - rules is rules. The post is OT. Should be hailed as what it is. Personally, I'm... shocked.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Fat fingers, a cheapie laptop screen, and early morning... <G>

I buzz through most of these posts so fast, I never picked up on it. I got through the header, read your post, and never knew anything was amiss.
Buzzzzzz..... too much caffeine.....
I was still trying to figure out why you named your wood. Doesn't pretty much everyone use "Johnson"?
Robert
"B A R R Y" wrote:

Excuses, excuses. <G>
As far as stock is concerned, it is like women.
None of it is ugly, some is just better looking than others.
Lew

Guess you never met my ex-in-laws then....

Old saying: Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

or stoked?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

That's how I do it. I find if I do it that way and run out of stock, I will be buying new stock for the better pieces rather than new stock for the hidden stuff.
Frank