does all wood darken?

Page 2 of 3
Tanus wrote:

Not very...it gets redder (than fresh cut) with golden overtones.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yes
I don't think it will lighten quite as quickly as the cherry darkens in light exposure.

Here is a link to a Japanese book (Wood and Cellulosic Chemistry by David N.-S. Hon, Nobuo Shiraishi) http://tinyurl.com/knpd6f
According to the book, there are many causes of discoloration: chemical, biological and physical. Results for light-induced discoloration is shown in Table 7 for 100 species of wood (but Google shows only part of the table) Positive numbers show woods that darken and negative numbers show woods that lighten.
According to the Table 7, American walnut should lighten, but window glass will block UV from sunlight, so it may take much longer than if left in full sunlight outdoors.
Denis G. wrote:

Whoa, STOP. The UV content of sunlight on the Earth's surface is mostly UVA (the UVB and higher has mostly been absorbed by the atmosphere) and window glass unless it has a UV blocking coating on it is about 90 percent transparent to UVA.

Here is a link to a Japanese book (Wood and Cellulosic Chemistry by David N.-S. Hon, Nobuo Shiraishi) http://tinyurl.com/knpd6f
According to the book, there are many causes of discoloration: chemical, biological and physical. Results for light-induced discoloration is shown in Table 7 for 100 species of wood (but Google shows only part of the table) Positive numbers show woods that darken and negative numbers show woods that lighten.
According to the Table 7, American walnut should lighten, but window glass will block UV from sunlight, so it may take much longer than if left in full sunlight outdoors.
That sounds very reasonable. Because I have never built any Walnut furniture that was to be left out side in direct sunlight I have not witnessed it fade "quickly". Cherry on OTOH will darken quickly. You better be cautious about setting any thing on a new piece of Cherry furniture that will block light as in as little as several weeks the wood will darken around the protected/covered spot.
Leon wrote:

Yep ... and, as you know, every time you walk in my house you can see that the nice initial effect of inlaying walnut with cherry may not stand the test of time.
The walnut lightens and the cherry darkens, making the inlay almost disappear.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

the trick! Hindsight is 20/20. :-)
Lee Michaels wrote:
> Hindsight is 20/20. :-)
You're right .. might as well be blind for the impact the effect has. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Stick it out side! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN. The Cherry will turn darker and the Walnut will lighten, then you will end up with the same result, except just the opposite. ;~(
On 6/25/2009 7:56 AM Leon spake thus:

Just a question: why do you always capitalize Cherry and Walnut? They're not proper nouns, you know, and this ain't German.
Just curious.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Around here proper respect is paid to JOAT'S wooddorking gods, which lurk in the two most elegant of hardwoods, way before any thought is given to frivolous pursuits like grammar ... besides, it insures wooddorkers cut only once after measuring only once.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Hmm; dunno what JOAT is, but I'll find out soon enough.
And that's sure better than my usual "Damn--I cut it twice and it's *still* too short!"

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Like me.
Dave N

You don't name your boards??
I want to emphasize the particular wood.
Leon wrote:

ROTFL! ...

LOL ... that'll do it, for sure!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age. I am surprised how much my pine furniture has darkened with age. Not sure if ALL wood darkens with sun exposure, but I'd like to know which one(s) do not. There have been many times I avoided cherry due to its darkening characteristics. What is aggravating is putting a vase, cloth, lamp on a table for some months, then you can see the lighter shadow on the wood.

English walnut, maybe. Black walnut lightens.
:>Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age. : English walnut, maybe. Black walnut lightens.
So does French walnut. It can get close to a cream color (after a hundred years anyway).
    -- Andy Barss

Many thanks!
Curt Blood Hartford, CT
Generally light woods darken dark woods lighten