Dodged a Bullet Last Night

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/hp_tornado My local rag ran a story on the twister today w/ a damage path. it's in our paper today for those that want to read about it.

A link might help.
http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/03/30/article/caught_in_the_whirlwind
GarageWoodworks wrote: ...

Certainly glad nobody hurt...
<
http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/greensburgh1.jpg
Partial shot of what Greensburg looked like shortly (like several weeks, I'd guess, didn't see an indication when the photo was actually taken but there's been a ton of debris hauled off before this was taken--it was impossible to drive virtually anywhere immediately after).
I went up (it's about 80 miles from us) early the morning after and came up the south end of main street which is a mile east of the main highway that was blocked off. Once to the damage area in town, you couldn't tell which was street and which was block--the debris field was 3-ft deep essentially uniform. Damage was so complete locals couldn't even recognize which block/intersection was which much of the time.
Spent that day helping several folks recover enough belongings to be able to make it to relatives or motels that evening and many of the next several weeks as could in cleanup...after the second day they cordoned off the entire community and only through qualified organizations were anybody allowed in/out for about two months or maybe even longer...
Link to a storm chasers' page who chased it back north from OK/TX from about Coldwater,KS, where he first saw it about 40 miles S of Greensburg.
<http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/may4-2007Greensburg-Kansas-tornado.html
It'll be a while 'afore I'll be forgettin' this-here 'un...this is third year coming up and I've become much more diligent about my storm spotter training and making sure the weather radio has batteries...

Very sad. It doesn't get any worse than what happened in Greensburg.
I did more driving around today with the wife and kids and saw more damage (no camera this time). I saw buses that were thrown across the street and homes pushed off of there foundations. I also saw a brick home that had the front bricks stripped off (I guess it was a brick facade?). It is very sad driving around the homes. I don't know if I'd even feel comfortable taking more pictures. It's too much to stomach.
I drove out today to the nearest point that the twister came to me and used my GPS to calculate the distance to my house and it was 0.75 miles!!!!!!
GarageWoodworks wrote: ...

Only thing that would have made it worse would have been for Greensburg to have been a much larger place than it was/is so there would have been more population affected...in a way it was fortunate the G'burg was only a 1500-population little town even though it took out most of the town.
Speaking of moving things, there was a full-size Buick on the roof of the Courthouse afterwards (3-stories and only building to survive reasonably intact other than the grain elevators on the north side of town).
They found a combine from the John Deere dealership located on the west edge of town rolled up like a wad of aluminum foil almost 5 miles N of town...and not a little guy, this was new 9700-series four-wheel drive monster. All it was lacking was it didn't have the header on the front. I'm guessing it weighed -- well, let's see, let's just look one up; it's a larger machine than ours -- wow!!! JD say ~30,000 lb w/o header. Hmmm....if I compute a wind force times an estimated projected area -- yeah, I get >30k-lbf by a fair margin...man, I'm more impressed after that exercise than I was when I saw the sucker out there...I didn't think actual weight would be much over half that and the thought of that was daunting enough.
On 3/30/2010 8:13 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

They do tend to make a mess. Here are a few photos of the May 25, 2008 EF5 that hit Parkersburg, Iowa.
http://images.google.com/images?q=Parkersburg+Tornado
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

We used to live in Wichita, about 1.5 hours east of Greensburg. Before the tornado we used to drive through from time to time on the way to Colorado or New Mexico. It was a pretty town and we always thought the Green part of their name went with the hundreds of big trees all around the town. The big feature of Greenburg was the largest hand-dug will in a park a few blocks off of the highway. A very pretty town and park.
We dove through on the way to Taos in October of '08 and it almost made us cry. From the highway you could see the horizon in all directions. No houses, few buildings and all of the trees were stripped and destroyed. Besides a concrete grain elevator that survived the storm most of the above ground structures were tents and temporary buildings put up by disaster workers. There were a few starts on new homes.
If good comes from disaster, Greensburg might well become the model for green communities. With the help of some organizations, the government and a few celebrities they have committed to incorporate green technology into their rebuild. This has come at the expense of a few long-time residents who apparently are having difficulty affording some of their new building standards. Time will tell.
RonB