Dodged a Bullet Last Night

Page 2 of 3

That is right. The F5 that passed through the neighborhood south of us, and then on to Andover, literally leveled the neighborhood. This was an area we used to walk in during evenings. After the tornado, we literally couldn't identify any landmarks. Houses were gone, trees, large trees, were mowed off about 10-15 feet above ground level.
You can't build for that.
RonB
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:11:55 -0700 (PDT), the infamous RonB

Sure you can. Think "cement domes" and only replace a window or two.
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing
"Larry Jaques" wrote

http://www.aidomes.com /
They use cast cement panel construction of domes. You assemble them on a framework. Then cast cement into all the joints. Smooth and paint. The structure is very strong. I really can't think of a natural force that could destroy it.
"Lee Michaels" wrote

Buckminster Fuller geodetic dome time.
Lew
On 3/31/2010 1:04 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'll believe they'll take an F4 when one gets hit by one. It's easy to say "withstands tornadoes" when you've only got a few hundred installed and none has taken a direct hit from a bad one.
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:04:06 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Actually the "Bucky Dome" which was at Southern Illinois University has been moved. It is also in bad need of restoration, at present it is covered over with plastic on a lot on south Forest street not far from campus. (it is made of wood.)
Mark
On 3/31/10 12:04 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Having lived in Cleveland back in the day, you know those geodesic domes are scattered all over NE Ohio.
--

-MIKE-

Bucky ball homes are nice. Just bolt them down to the ground! A friend didn't have it done and during an earthquake - it slide sideways and off the foundation. Friends helped pick up the unit and move it back. Wasn't to far gone.
He and his wife moved out of earthquake country in a matter of days. Martin
Lew Hodgett wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:31:49 -0400, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

Man, what a POS website, though. 2/3 of the screen is menu, header, and pic. The slideshow doesn't work, the store doesn't work... It's damaging their business. <sigh>

Yeah, cement is one tough nut for Mother Nature to crack. Have you seen the inflatable dome style? They blow up a balloon and shoot 'crete over it. It's a one-piece cast, prolly stronger than AI. http://www.monolithic.com/topics/homes is one maker. I like their low-key video. (std disclaimer applies)
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Very cool! I like those a lot.

FYI the tornado has been confirmed an EF3 by the National Weather Service Center.
Watch this video and at -1:00 you can see my yellow hummer: http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-tornadoes-100328,0,7571743.story
Glad you're ok and didn't lose anything.
--

-MIKE-

Thanks Mike. I determined the path of the tornado and the closest it came to me was probably around a mile.
Scary shit. I'd post a picture of the path, but I don't want to broadcast where I live. :^)
On 2010-03-29 20:13:14 -0400, GarageWoodworks

Hope you don't live near a trailer park!
Got family in Davidson Co. but it doesn't look like they were anywhere near the storm.
GarageWoodworks wrote: ...

Interesting...
I have slow dialup so didn't look at anything near all the pictures in glory, admittedly. Maybe didn't see the worstest...
We had one cross a creek, rise up a hill and up and over some trees - and our house for two streets - then down on school temp buildings and rolled them.
Glad you were out of the way. They really change lives.
Martin
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Glad you're okay.
Mother Nature can be an evil b****, when she wants to!
When it's THAT close, though, almost inevitably ... you know somebody ... or ... somebody who knows somebody. Hope the damage was minimal, the injuries were less, and the recovery quick!
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT), the infamous GarageWoodworks

Yes, scary stuff. That 5th pic, with the huge rootball exposed from the blown-over tree reminds me of Little Rock, AR when I was a kid. I never saw a tornado, but the huge thunderstorms (gorgeous things, the only thing I miss from there) would uproot the big trees lining the streets there.
Congrats on the luck of dodging that tornado, Brian.
-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Glad to hear it missed you. Sorry to see the damage it caused.

Rob Leatham

Indeed glad it missed you!
Here in Bergen county, NJ, we had a big storm 3 weeks ago. Lost power for longer than I cared (~28 hours), but some people lost it for almost a week. Many trees down, a few deaths in the tristate area due to falling trees mostly. Then the flooding, many homes. Now since Sunday we are again having torrential rains (for the area). They are expecting like 6 inches before it stops, and the ground is totally saturated, so there will be big time flooding again. Luckily, we are fairly high, and don't expect flooding, except for perhaps a few damp spots in the basement (keeping fingers crossed).
--
Best regards
Han