Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

I'm guilty, happens to me about 2 times a year and always makes me sick because I work hard at keeping my saw in tip top shape.

Reply to
Modat22

Elmo wrote: ...

Well, of course...simply commenting on local conditions...it's not a desert, but dry in comparison to most. It's a very sandy soil but there's a caliche layer at about 2-3' under the surface that is nearly impermeable. I'm sure some detailed soil sampling could find some remnants near that layer...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

...farming...no trees here.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Works the same in logging. Soft spots logged in the winter when the ground's frozen, high, sandy stuff with pine in the summer. When the forest's really dense, an Iron Mule can't find a way to hit the ground for the roots. The call it "low impact" logging.

Reply to
George

So, besides being a top-posting moron, you're also absolutely perfect, and have never, under any circumstances, for any reason, *EVER* hit dirt while cutting, eh?

Damn... You're a GOD!

Reply to
Don Bruder

That's "lets"...

I got dirt on my chain several times recently while cutting some trees off right at the ground. The chain got dull, but I got done what I wanted.

-Mike

Reply to
hubcap

And God don't need no chain saw. A few tsunamis, an earthquake or two, forest fires, etc, and the planet is 'right' again.

Reply to
G Henslee

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:06:53 GMT, the opaque "George E. Cawthon" spake:

ACK.

OK, my water table is about 20' and my well is 26' deep.

How much oil it would take to contaminate the aquifer containing my drinking water? Much less than one at

300' deep, I'm sure.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Technically, you are correct. But you can't have groundwater without an aquifer and you can't have an aquifer without groundwater. So ground water aquifer is still redundant. In common usage, aquifer is used interchangeably with ground water.

But stupidities abound as I saw in my dictionary. They define aquifer spring. It should be quite obvious that all springs are simply groundwater coming to the surface. So springs necessarily require an aquifer.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Now, now George. The elevator maintenance guys put the used hydraulic fluid in empty bottles that were thrown out after the docs, nurses, medical techs or whomever used the original fluid that was intended for instrument contact. First off, the repair crew erred in not relabeling the bottles as containing something other than what the labels said. Secondly, they left them in a location in which someone else would appropriately and reasonably assume the bottles contained what they said they did.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

that it can be done. I was just testing a theory

was wrong to do so.

Actually, that seems like a pretty good use for it. The claim that 'it doesn't do the bar any good" is probably true but OTOH it is very unlikely to do it any harm either. After all, it was being used up until it was drained to lubricate a far more complicated and delicate mechanical system (your car) with no ill effects. To think that it was good enough for your car up till then, but inadequate for the task of lubing the chain and bar is silly. And it's an equally silly suggestion that someone is doing the world a favor to recycle it instead because that means you will be using BRAND NEW oil instead of that used oil - clearly a net loss to the world of limited oil.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

told that it can be done. I was just testing a theory

that I was wrong to do so.

Thank you for injecting some sanity into this discussion.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Well sure, but "sanity" makes for a pretty short discussion, now, doesn't it?

I'm also not sure what carcinogenic (sp ?) risk is involved in handling used motor oil.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Ah, but after the discover of what happened, the doctors said, "No problem, don't worry" to the patients that received implants that were "disinfected" with the hydraulic fluid. That was my point.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I agree, excellent logic. But, remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

:)

AL

Reply to
AL

Probably no more than just being born. I know a guy who used old motor oil for a number of things, from (he thought) preserving fence posts to sun tan oil. He's been doing both for upwards of 40 years with no apparent ill effects.

My objection to used motor oil on chainsaw bars is simpler. It is too thin, likely to get flung off, and provide almost no protection. That's the same objection I'd have to running it on a motorcycle, or bicycle, chain.

Reply to
Charlie Self

That is it in a nutshell. I figure if the engineers designing them say to use oil formulated for the use, then use it. I am sure that they know one hell of lot more about it than I do. I would have to dig out my manual on my new saw to be sure but I think it specifically says not to use motor oil.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

-snip-

Bottom line is to use what the saw manual says. My Remington electric says "Do not use bar and chain oil" -- They recommend 30weight motor oil.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Specific warnings are one thing, (and of course, you have no idea if the eningeers put that in, or if marketing put that in) but I can tell you as an engineer that I'm most likely to reccomend that you only use a certain stuff not becuase I know it's the best, or the only thing that's good, but becuase people will go and pour concentrated sulfuric acid and iron filings in and then complain about it.

If they don't say why, then you've got to take that with a grain of salt. Of course, if you have no other opinons, you may as well do that, but I know from personal experience that manuals are hardly the be all and end all of the situation. They're only oocasionally even authoratative.

John

Reply to
raven

Well, if I was in the business of selling branded "special" bar oil at twice the price of cheap motor oil I'd put that in my instruction manual too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher