Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Page 5 of 8

I've been using hair oil in my chain saw for years. The chain always stays neat and nicely slicked down, even in a strong wind. Occasionally you should take it to a barber for a trim. Some prefer to take the chain saw to a beauty parlor for a wash and set, but that's for sissies.

Snort!
You mousse that thing, too?

No, but I did hack up an elk once. Yuck.|
Tom Miller wrote:

Wood chipper works well for elk sausage. ;-)

Elkburgers! The worst piece of meat I've ever eaten.
Doug Miller wrote:

Hey Doug,
Check this out as for the hardness of wood. Check out the third picture down!! http://www.xmission.com/~tmathews/b29/e.html
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Interesting site too..
Reminded me of the marvelous PBS Nova program about the attempt to recover the B-29 "Kee Bird" from Greenland.
IIRC they did something creative with the wheels on that one too. Having no source of compressed air they filled the tires with propane they had on hand for cooking.
If you never heard about this 1994-95 rescue attempt and its unhappy ending, here's a link:
http://b-29s-over-korea.com/shortstories/b29-frozen.htm
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

A great yarn. John

"There are only a handful of B-29's left, out of over 4,000. Somehow nobody realized it until it was too late. At one time the Arizona desert was covered with B-29's, some flown in and in good condition. They were all scrapped. "
Confederate Air Force brought a 29 and a 17 out for static display when I was stationed in California. Together they had one tenth the hours of the 52 parked nearby. And it was one of the "young" ones, not an old hog like the D.
George wrote:

They flew a 29 out here for display and even a few sightseeing flights over Memorial Day. There was a large pilot training base here in the war. Silos on the farm were a landmark for return lineup for landing. One fella' who flew them and was trainer here took a turn and retraced his old path--discovered we'd had to take the silos down. I happened to be out when he flew over at about 150 ft or so.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

the Commerative Air Force out of Texas. There is one in Witchita at the Boeing facility being restored to flying status, but it is still a few years off. http://b-29.boeing.com/ So, out of the 4000 or so made, only a dozen or so exist on display at museums around the country, one is being restored to fly, and one flys. The rest were scrapped or used for target practice by the Navy at China Lake.
Al Reid wrote:

Get rid of? Wonder where does it end up? You're polluting! Tony

I've seen all sort of crappy oil used, even used motor oil. It works. OTOH, I'm still on my first gallon of bar oil that I paid about $5.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Walmart sells Poulan branded bar oil for less than $3 per gallon. Still on your first gallon? Don't use than saw much huh? If you burn wood and get your own, that gallon of oil will be gone fairly quickly (or the blade will be gone).

The oil on the chain will be distributed in you environment it's totally unacceptable to use a non-biodegradable oil for lubricating the saw. The pro's you have seen obviously don't care a dam about the rest of the world and should be [insert punishment of choice]...
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

something better?
--
Proud member of the reality-based community.

says...

Husqvarna were selling a bar oil based on vegetable oil. I have recently heard that the performance was/is considered unsatisfactory but this is very second hand info, just some guy whose brother does logging in Bavaria. Guess it probably would be more environmentally friendly, somewhat.
-P.

Stihl, for one, does have a vegetable based oil

There is a resin based bar lube that is bio safe but it will turn to a solid if you left it sit too long.
Good luck with finding the biolube. None of the local dealers stock it. None want to bother ordering it.