Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Nor am for your apparent inability to recognize patterns revealed by repeated specific actions.... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Not "a B-29" but the ONLY flying B-29. Also known as "Fifi" operated by the Commerative Air Force out of Texas. There is one in Witchita at the Boeing facility being restored to flying status, but it is still a few years off.

So, out of the 4000 or so made, only a dozen or so exist on display at museums around the country, one is being restored to fly, and one flys. The rest were scrapped or used for target practice by the Navy at China Lake.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I'm certainly picking up a pattern in *your* posts...

Reply to
Doug Miller

To that I certainly plead guilty... :)

I consistently try to point out the tendency to go to extremes (of which you're not the only propoent), sadly. :(

I had hoped you just see at least a modicum of levity arising in the continuing descent into absurdium...alas, if not. I tried.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The oil itself is not a problem, IMO unless the environment is overwhelmed with it.

Besides.....because oil floats on water, I think I would be more concerned with any additives and residual contaminents that may come out of suspension.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Its not like the 'water table' is a big glass lined tank (like the Latrobe brewery - 33) all shiny and clean. And I was thinking, where does all that nasty oil come from in the first place? Down there in the ground. I say, set it free, let it return home!!!

AL

Reply to
AL

Actually, the soil compression from logging is probably overall more harmful than any petroleum spills, fish excepted.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:30:01 GMT, the opaque "George E. Cawthon" spake:

Um, if the water table is contaminated by the oil, I'd -much- rather have soil compression and the resultant fewer trees, TYVM.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No way to test that hypothesis here... :)

Although minimizing compaction w/ low- and no-till is showing very good results after a number of years of continuous practice.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Low- and no-till logging?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Contrary to the idiocy often evidence by DEQ's, it takes quite a spill to contaminate groundwater. BTW, got to start using those terms correctly. You can't contaminate the water table. That's like "spilling coffee on the inches." Water table is just an elevation. What gets contaminated in ground water or "aquifer" if you prefer. There's another common mistake "ground water aquifer" because ground water and aquifer mean the same thing. Oops, guess the old editor job just spilled out.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Who the hell let's the bar or chain hit the dirt? If you are that careless, then you may as well use water instead of bar oil.

=================

I'm wondering which part of "The first time the tip touches dirt even for an instant, you've just put more crap on the bar than any amount of used motor oil possibly could" you can't comprehend.

Face it, Doug, waste oil is perfectly fine as bar oil, despite your bleating to the contrary.

(And the greenies who might want to cry about it are perfectly welcome to go suck rocks.)

-- Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004. Short form: I'm trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn't contain a password in the subject unless it comes from a "whitelisted" (pre-approved by me) address. See for full details.

Reply to
Gideon

Haven't been following this too closely. I thought bar oil was what you get on your elbows.

Joe

Reply to
splinter
[...]

Isn't the aquifer rather the structure in the ground that contains the ground water than the water itself? The word certainly means that (it would be something like "water carrier").

;-) Juergen

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

These all flow into a simple french drain...

If it weren't for the presence of contaminants then what need for the gently sloped grassy swale???

Might as well just line a trough with concrete....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Around here, ( a mountainous region and fairly near to the pacific ocean ) one of the biggest problems with logging is the soil erosion and subsequent sedimention occuring in the the rivers and streams...( salmon spawing habitat--if you bury them eggs then the little fisheys don't got much of a chance )

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Same around thing here.......

...BUT...

The restaurant downtown serves up some mighty fine Spotted Owl Soup !!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Yeah, producing all those crops is definately GOOD for the environment !!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Hoping you are not as obtuse as Doug, the purpose of the oil is _also_ to help get the dirt which gets on the bar flushed away.

Unless your trees are much different that the rest of the world, the bark/branch pockets/crotches will collect dirt.

Reply to
George

It may not reach _your_ aquifer but it's gotta go someplace. (Unless you're in a Death Valley type hole.)

I know. It's really amazing how quickly biological systems can recover when they are not overwhelmed by too much for too long.

Reply to
Elmo