Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Page 3 of 8

The suspended solids in used engine oil are, for the most part, fine particles of metal. The junk that collects on the bar during use is wood dust. Surely you don't imagine that the two produce the same degree of wear on the chain and bar.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote: ...

A lot of the chips and dust are wood, but a lot isn't--the inevitable dirt and other grime is at least as abrasive as the much smaller diameter particles that made it through the engine oil filter...after all, you wouldn't be particularly concerned to run your auto another 500 or even 1000 miles above the 3000 mi mark if you were on a trip and needed that to get home for a more convenient oil change, would you? The lube requirements of any modern engine are <far> more onerous...

Just the same, it should be obvious that you're not doing your chain saw any good by running used motor oil through it.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

By the same token, I don't think it at all obvious there would be much difference observable one way or the other as opposed to clean motor oil...
Seems to me like the "stale gas" thread or the "diluted 2-cycle gas in 4-cycle engine" threads of recent history... :(
I rented a chainsaw this weekend. Ran out of bar oil, went to the rental shop. They filled the bar oil bottle with 30w oil because they didn't have any bar oil left. This was done by the lead supervisor on the job so it must be ok.
Michael
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

Well, that's a stretch to conclude... :)
(Although I don't disagree w/ particular action, just to draw the conclusion the action of a "supervisor" implies knowledge is a stretch imo).
Although I will say it's the first rental place I've heard of that wouldn't consider the lube oil a "consumable" for which the renter is responsible, just like the fuel...
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

That's what the hospital supervisor said about putting instruments in hydraulic fluid wasn't it?
In article

Now, now George. The elevator maintenance guys put the used hydraulic fluid in empty bottles that were thrown out after the docs, nurses, medical techs or whomever used the original fluid that was intended for instrument contact. First off, the repair crew erred in not relabeling the bottles as containing something other than what the labels said. Secondly, they left them in a location in which someone else would appropriately and reasonably assume the bottles contained what they said they did.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Ah, but after the discover of what happened, the doctors said, "No problem, don't worry" to the patients that received implants that were "disinfected" with the hydraulic fluid. That was my point.

Surely
chain
500
any
Duane, I've got a 25 yr. old Poulan that has an 18 yr. old bar. I've used the hell out of that saw on_big_trees over the years. Only reason I changed the bar was it got bent when a tree pinched it when I was cutting on a hillside. I've always filled the bar oil tank with used motor oil. My chains last a long time and it should be evident that it sure didn't do any damage to the bar. I do pump the oiler quite a bit on the saw and keep the bar well lubed. Now................................wait for it. Some horse's ass will tell me I'm spreading carcinogens to the little forest creatures who might come and lick the stump that has used motor oil on it.
Garrett Fulton
Garrett Fulton wrote: ...

Sound like your thinking parallels mine... :)
I'd never thought of it as a use for the old oil and since each of the large tractors takes 16 qts/change, it adds up pretty quickly here on the farm... :(
There's only so much that can be used on combine chains, etc. I'll probably go to a used oil burner for some heat in the shop here in another winter or so when I get the rest of the barn refurb far enough along to have actually got it close to tight...at present no windows in anything except the shop itself, etc., so far so not much purpose 'til can get farther along and farming comes first this time of year.
Garrett Fulton wrote:

Not to worry. The government had identified the air in pine forests as exceeding the allowable aromatics, so the little suckers will die of cancer from the pine smell anyway.
You are spreading carcinogens to the little forest creatures who might come and lick the stump that has used motor oil on it.
Not to mention getting cancer yourself by handling used oil.
being a horse's ass is better than being a DUMBASS
THe OP (me) asked about NEW engine oil, not USED.

come
And if Bullshit was music, you'd be a brass band, tough guy. You're exposed to several orders of magnitude more carcinogens by just breathing the exhaust from the chainsaw. But I guess you go to the woods with a medical compressor and respirator. Typical environmental whacko. Not enough sense to pour piss out of a boot.
Garrett Fulton
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug, it just goes on the bar, it doesn't go through the motor. One touch into the dirt with the bar and you are far worse off than anything dirty motor oil would do to the bar.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I know several wood cutters who use the used motor oil to lube the bar and chain. They cut a helluva lot of wood year around and I've never heard them complain about the oil hurting the saw or it's chain.

Yes, George, I know it just goes on the bar. Are you really having such a hard time understanding that used, dirty oil doesn't lubricate as well as new, clean oil?
--
Regards,

I'm wondering which part of "The first time the tip touches dirt even for an instant, you've just put more crap on the bar than any amount of used motor oil possibly could" you can't comprehend.
Face it, Doug, waste oil is perfectly fine as bar oil, despite your bleating to the contrary.
(And the greenies who might want to cry about it are perfectly welcome to go suck rocks.)
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
.

Well, a field expedient, or maybe for folks who beat up a bar so bad so fast that it's not important, like limbers.
However, bar oils are formulated differently even for summer and winter to try and hit that happy place where it carries well enough to lubricate, while having the good sense to get out of the way with its burden of dirt when the chain runs fast and free.
I'm in hardwood country, and in the days before harvesters it was really tough to find someone who didn't use bar oil, or respect the tool that brought him his livelihood well enough to spend the four bucks per gallon. Bubba in the pineywoods might have enough waste oil in the junkers in his front yard to cut for a couple of days, but it just doesn't make sense for someone earning a living with his saw to scrounge dirty oil.