Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Page 1 of 8

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?
Any comments?
Dean

I worked with a professional tree service for 7 years. We used the bar oil or motor oil . Whatever was available at the time.. Using motor oil never hurt any saw we had. We used Stihls, we had Huskys, Echos (long time ago). Never hurt any of them. the main thing is to make sure that the bar gets oil. Theres a slot that the chain runs in.. sometimes it's good to clean that out. It can get gunked up a bit. That'll help keep the bar lubed up.
dean wrote:

Used 10W30 in my Stihl from the time I bought it until it was "borrowed" by an uninvited guest - about five- years - and it worked well for me.

I put used motor oil in my saw. Good way to get rig of it.
--
Al Reid

No, not really.
The suspended solids and other junk (such as combustion byproducts) in used motor oil don't do either the bar or the chain any good. That gunk is better off being recycled and disposed of properly.
--
Regards,

Doug,
I have never actually put used motor oil in my saws, although I have been told that it can be done. I was just testing a theory that if I said I did that Doug Miller would be the first one to tell me that I was wrong to do so.
Theory proven correct ;^)
--
Al Reid

Are you a jerk in real life, too, or just on Usenet?
--
Regards,

ROFLMAO!

:)
"if a guy doesn't figure he's as much of an asshole as half the guys out there he prob'ly ain't thinkin so good" -alvin
What I see, most guys figure they are in the top 1% of "good guys" or so! :(
Leads to trouble, one perfect little momma's boy dealing with another perfect little momma's boy.
If they figured they were so "good" that they fit in the top 10% I could go along with that if they were a fairy. I figure the top 10% of "good" guys out there are all fairies. Are you a fairy? ;)
It's ok if you are, I'm not making a judgement on that, ok?
You judge yourself.
When a guy uses the word "proper" it kind of gives me the creeps. That was my grandma's word and the way she saw everything, in terms of "proper" or not. Never knew guys used that word until I got on usenet. :/
You find it kind of creepy? Or is it just me? :/
Alvin a real asshole (typical dumb-ass guy) in AZ

Hey AlphaTurd! If you don't like what he said, then just ignore him. Why can't you play nice? (Sad thing is, there was nothing wrong with your post about the oil.)
wrote wrote nothing worth reading, as usual...
Hey, Wade, when are you going to outgrow the junior-high-school name-calling?
--
Regards,
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:15:31 -0400, "Al Reid"

Actually, that seems like a pretty good use for it. The claim that 'it doesn't do the bar any good" is probably true but OTOH it is very unlikely to do it any harm either. After all, it was being used up until it was drained to lubricate a far more complicated and delicate mechanical system (your car) with no ill effects. To think that it was good enough for your car up till then, but inadequate for the task of lubing the chain and bar is silly. And it's an equally silly suggestion that someone is doing the world a favor to recycle it instead because that means you will be using BRAND NEW oil instead of that used oil - clearly a net loss to the world of limited oil.

engine
used
better
butt.
told that it can be done. I was just testing a theory

that I was wrong to do so.

Thank you for injecting some sanity into this discussion.
Garrett Fulton
gfulton wrote:

<snip>
Well sure, but "sanity" makes for a pretty short discussion, now, doesn't it?
I'm also not sure what carcinogenic (sp ?) risk is involved in handling used motor oil.
R, Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

Probably no more than just being born. I know a guy who used old motor oil for a number of things, from (he thought) preserving fence posts to sun tan oil. He's been doing both for upwards of 40 years with no apparent ill effects.
My objection to used motor oil on chainsaw bars is simpler. It is too thin, likely to get flung off, and provide almost no protection. That's the same objection I'd have to running it on a motorcycle, or bicycle, chain.
Charlie Self wrote:

That is it in a nutshell. I figure if the engineers designing them say to use oil formulated for the use, then use it. I am sure that they know one hell of lot more about it than I do. I would have to dig out my manual on my new saw to be sure but I think it specifically says not to use motor oil.
Harry K
-snip-

Bottom line is to use what the saw manual says. My Remington electric says "Do not use bar and chain oil" -- They recommend 30weight motor oil.
Jim

Specific warnings are one thing, (and of course, you have no idea if the eningeers put that in, or if marketing put that in) but I can tell you as an engineer that I'm most likely to reccomend that you only use a certain stuff not becuase I know it's the best, or the only thing that's good, but becuase people will go and pour concentrated sulfuric acid and iron filings in and then complain about it.

If they don't say why, then you've got to take that with a grain of salt. Of course, if you have no other opinons, you may as well do that, but I know from personal experience that manuals are hardly the be all and end all of the situation. They're only oocasionally even authoratative.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.

Well, if I was in the business of selling branded "special" bar oil at twice the price of cheap motor oil I'd put that in my instruction manual too.

How's that again?
A *gallon* of bar & chain oil at Tractor Supply Company is $3.76 (that's 94 cents a quart). Where are you buying motor oil for 47 cents a quart?
--
Regards,