Do You Lube It Before U Screw ??

and dip the screws in when it's hot melted.
Pretty great website, for what you can do and what you have done, that ought to teach folks about budget and all possibilities. It doesn't take much, well done.
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Thank you!

I use beeswax too, but it was a PITA to have to melt it all the time. I figured out that if I added some Mineral Spirits to the melted wax, then let it cool, I'd never need to melt it again. It doesn't take much MS so add just a little then cool. If it's too stiff, keep reheating & adding a bit more till you're happy with it. Mine is about the consistency of room temp (70 degrees) butter.
This mixture also works just great on my boots instead of buying the pricey SnowSeal.
Art

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:51:52 -0800, Wood Butcher opined:

There are hobbyists who make their own perfumes, lotions and soaps. The suppliers for that hobby sell lanolin in jugs. Add some lanolin to your beeswax boot sealer. You can also use the extra lanolin to soothe your face after trying unusual methods of shaving. 8-#
You can play around with the solvent mix in your screw-wax tub. I started with mineral oil, then lightened it up with this and that 'til I got the consistency I like. Or, stick with the mineral oil and add a few drops of Ronsonol every few weeks.
Bolts get a taste of propane torch, then get rubbed on the Gulfwax chunk.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net
"stoutman" wrote in message

My screws come pre-lubed.
(Now, get your mind out of the gutter ...)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

We expected that you might have read at least one book on woodworking, where this procedure is always mentioned. Old boys used to lube a nail. Often kept a reservoir of wax in the handle for it.
Wax or oil are good choices, soap used to be a bad choice because the alkali used attracted moisture from the air. Probably no longer a factor.

I have finally found a good use for a Miniwax product. About 6 years ago I bought a can of Miniwax finishing wax. That tin is my screw lube.
stoutman wrote:

I keep a chunk of grocery store paraffin in the bench. It's handy for lots of things.
I use the wax from a toilet bowl ring to lube mine. Works like a champ and one ring will last a long long time for around a buck. John
stoutman wrote:

John DeBoo wrote:

That's an excellent idea.
Since we use "old" toothbrushes, panty hose, t-shirts, why not ask a plumber... Nevermind! <G>

As long as you get one of the old style rings. New ones are different.
Rub the screw along an old candle. Never EVER get any kind of lube oil near wood!
FoggyTown

because we knew that YOUR mind was in the gutter and that you'd think we were talking about ky jelly??
A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.. Mac