Do You Lube It Before U Screw ??

Get your mind out of the gutter! :)

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them (from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.

Just a little tip to those in the dark and a big Why didn't anyone tell me? to everyone else!

Reply to
stoutman

You could'a checked the archives... Tom

Reply to
tom

In hardwoods I use bar soap, the excess washes off easily and does not prevent finishes from adhering to the wood.

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

--

You got a local farmer's market? Buy some beeswax from the honey seller and dip the screws in when it's hot melted.

Pretty great website, for what you can do and what you have done, that ought to teach folks about budget and all possibilities. It doesn't take much, well done.

Reply to
AAvK

Don Dando wrote: In hardwoods I use bar soap,>snip Maybe you should check the archives on the soap issue! (it'll probably be allright, though.) Tom

Reply to
tom

"Don Dando" wrote

This has the reputation for drawing moisture from the wood to the screw.

Jeff G

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Many, many moons ago (easily 20 years) I read a tip in one of the various WW magazines around at the time that recommended the wax ring for a toilet flange. Pretty sure it's beeswax.

They recommended, IIRC, just leave it out on a block of wood, jab the screw tip into it and away you go.

I took it one better, melted it down in either the microwave or a double boiler and poured it into a smallish jar with a screw cap (a small Vita creamed herring jar, if you must know). Still have plenty left and it stays clean and doesn't pick up the crap flying around in the shop.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

My screws come pre-lubed.

(Now, get your mind out of the gutter ...)

Reply to
Swingman

We expected that you might have read at least one book on woodworking, where this procedure is always mentioned. Old boys used to lube a nail. Often kept a reservoir of wax in the handle for it.

Wax or oil are good choices, soap used to be a bad choice because the alkali used attracted moisture from the air. Probably no longer a factor.

Reply to
George

However bar soap has a lot of water in it and causes screws to rust.

Reply to
Leon

Not to mention the soap has a lot of moisture in it to begin with.

Reply to
Leon

I have finally found a good use for a Miniwax product. About 6 years ago I bought a can of Miniwax finishing wax. That tin is my screw lube.

Reply to
Leon

I keep a chunk of grocery store paraffin in the bench. It's handy for lots of things.

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
John DeBoo

That's an excellent idea.

Since we use "old" toothbrushes, panty hose, t-shirts, why not ask a plumber... Nevermind!

Reply to
B a r r y

As long as you get one of the old style rings. New ones are different.

Reply to
George

Rub the screw along an old candle. Never EVER get any kind of lube oil near wood!

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

because we knew that YOUR mind was in the gutter and that you'd think we were talking about ky jelly??

A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.. Mac

mac davis

Thank you!

Reply to
stoutman

Went one better . . . Had about a hundred or so empty 35mm film cans. Filled several with the melted ring/wax and put them in every tool bag & workbench.

Poured the remainder into an empty 'travel size' deodorant container {with a 'screw as you use' bottom}. Put that one in the shop drawer.

Joanne couldn't figure out what I was doing when I put one in her 'kit'. Til I helped her build a slanted 'raised bed' by the driveway fence . . . out of scrap boards & trim that we 'sistered' together.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote

SNIP

PS - YUMMY - learned about that stuff from my Grandfather !!

Reply to
Ron Magen