Do You Lube It Before U Screw ??

Page 1 of 2

Get your mind out of the gutter! :)
I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them (from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.
Just a little tip to those in the dark and a big Why didn't anyone tell me? to everyone else!
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
tom wrote:

I'm fairly new to this group, and I read what's current. I haven't searched the archives because I don't have an issue that I really need to research. I'm also relatively new to woodworking, so I don't have _an_ issue, I have hundreds. Just reading what comes in on a daily basis keeps my mind occupied.
So, when I saw the Lube title, I checked it out. And yes, I learned something. I learned a lot from all the posts so far, and it's something I'll set up in my own shop tomorrow. Lots of lil containers filled with stuff that I can easily dip a screw into.
The archives are great. I've used them in other groups. But old topics revisited are also a great benefit. And if it's a topic I've already seen, I just move on to the next.
Tanus
Tanus wrote: snip<The archives are great.>snip
You could be the "hundredth (sp?) monkey". Some study awhile back showed that, when, in a clan of monkeys, when a certain percentage of them caught on to a new method or technique, very quickly the remainder of the clan took up the new method or technique. I'm always open to a new way of doing things, so I keep an eye on the newsgroups, anyway. Yes, the archives_are_ great. Tom

Oooo, oooo. Eheeee, eheee.
What a baboon....(insert smiley face here) Tom

You obviously don't know a monkey when you hear one. Baboon?
(re-insert smiley face)
Stoutman wrote: > (I wrote:)What a baboon....(insert smiley face here) Tom You obviously don't know a monkey when you hear one. Baboon? (re-insert smiley face)
It was a simianaly, dagnabbit! Tom

I get it now. Gosh!
I'm just a simian, give me a break. :) ( i inserted the smiley for your convenience)

Yep it was a baboon. I forgot that a baboon was a type of monkey. :(
Ooooo eeeeeee.
(re-insert smiley face)
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 04:02:39 +0000, opined:

Arrgh! Baboons are apes, not monkeys! Old World monkeys, New World monkeys, lesser apes and great apes are the groupings to remember. Calling a baboon a monkey is like calling a Nicholson #49 a measuring device.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

And the next line of the song is: Walla Walla Bing Bang......

Or - you could stop by a sewing store and get some beeswax used to wax thread. Not as icky sticky and just as useful.
In hardwoods I use bar soap, the excess washes off easily and does not prevent finishes from adhering to the wood.
Don Dando

Don Dando wrote: In hardwoods I use bar soap,>snip Maybe you should check the archives on the soap issue! (it'll probably be allright, though.) Tom
tom wrote:

Many, many moons ago (easily 20 years) I read a tip in one of the various WW magazines around at the time that recommended the wax ring for a toilet flange. Pretty sure it's beeswax.
They recommended, IIRC, just leave it out on a block of wood, jab the screw tip into it and away you go.
I took it one better, melted it down in either the microwave or a double boiler and poured it into a smallish jar with a screw cap (a small Vita creamed herring jar, if you must know<g>). Still have plenty left and it stays clean and doesn't pick up the crap flying around in the shop.
Went one better . . . Had about a hundred or so empty 35mm film cans. Filled several with the melted ring/wax and put them in every tool bag & workbench.
Poured the remainder into an empty 'travel size' deodorant container {with a 'screw as you use' bottom}. Put that one in the shop drawer.
Joanne couldn't figure out what I was doing when I put one in her 'kit'. Til I helped her build a slanted 'raised bed' by the driveway fence . . . out of scrap boards & trim that we 'sistered' together.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote

SNIP
PS - YUMMY - learned about that stuff from my Grandfather !!

This has the reputation for drawing moisture from the wood to the screw.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Not to mention the soap has a lot of moisture in it to begin with.

However bar soap has a lot of water in it and causes screws to rust.