Do you lend your tools?

As is the case in a usenet forum - the more something is discussed, the more factors become revealed. Though this may or may not play into a decision on my part, it certainly does reveal more about your thoughts than your original post did.

I understand that. I don't cheat on that kind of stuff either. I find myself somewhat uncomfortable with others suggesting I participate in those things. Fortunately I have found that most people will respect my position on these types of things once I give a quick explanation that I don't do that. Those who seem stuck on the point, I put in the category of bottom feeder as well. What I have found is that these days almost everybody thinks a little cheating is ok.

That's fair - like I said, it's your perspective on how to deal with a need. For me, I and my circle of friends share tools constantly. If one of us has what the other needs, it's a given that we'll borrow what we need. It's a circle of people who all share a common respect for the values of the tool owner, and for the value of the tool. Hell, one of my friends has heavy construction equipment and I don't think twice about going up and picking up a back hoe or a bulldozer when I need them. He thinks nothing about calling me to come over and do some wiring, borrowing a circular saw, or some other need. We both know that our equipement or tools will be cared for at least as well as we care for them ourselves.

That may well be. I wasn't tallying votes, simply expressing my opinion in response to an open question.

Agreed - but that again was not part of your original post. My response stated that there is a select group of people I will loan stuff to.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'd love to hear exactly how you learned that.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

With the exception of a guy down the block that never returns them, I lend some tools out...

mostly, I offer to help them or let then use the tools IN MY GARAGE where I can keep an eye on them and the tools..

I'd rather not get a tool back than find out that I loaned out one that I thought they knew how to use, and find out later that didn't have a clue and lost a finger or something using it..

Mac

mac davis

Especially a tape measure. Don't mess with someone else's measuring tools. I've calibrated four tapes to each other and to a master rule, and might get grumpy if someone snapped an end off one.

That said, there's not much reason for not lending some tools around here, while most of the rest are going to sit, no matter what. My table saw and air compressor and planer and jointer and bandsaw and lathe are way too heavy to be portable. For those, a few people have keys to my shop, and are welcome at any time if they need something, use or borrow. Others ask, and if I know them and their tool use habits, the odds are good they'll walk out with the tool. A couple could ask for a year and not get a thing, based on past experience (lost parts, lost tool, tool left in the woods for a month, that sort of thing).

As in many rural communities, though, most people around here have all they need in the way of tools, though it's not uncommon for someone like me, with a 24' extension ladder, to occasionally need to borrow a

28' or a 32' or a 40'.
Reply to
Charlie Self

I don't do it any more. I loan to my family, that's it.

I had a rototiller trashed by a neighbor.

I had a circular saw left out in the rain.

I lent a neighbor two big C-Clamps. He never returned them. He actually had the gall to hang them on his pegboard in his garage. When I asked for them back, he actually said "Are you sure your really need them? I wanted to keep them".

In hindsight, I feel stupid for being so trusting of people.

Reply to
bf

I lend my tools but I also offer to help out on the project. So, you borrow a tool and you get me along with it sometimes! I have borrowed tools too. Sometimes my tools come back with a beer or two attached. Tools I borrow come back better than I got them. Once I borrowed an air hose. It had a leak at the fitting. A bit of Teflon taped fixed it right up. The owner didn't need to make a trip to the store, I had some handy. Used the hose for a couple of hours, brought it back in better condition than I borrowed it in. Life is good when you share.

Reply to
No

If somebody asks to borrow one of my tools it comes down to two things... 1. How long have I known them and 2. How long have I known them.

My friends and I swap tools regularly. If there's a problem, the borrower fixes or makes good on it. I've known these folks for years, worked with them alot and respect their integrity. Never had a problem.

I've heard the horror stories and such, I think we all have. You'll get that from any subject when it comes to lending stuff out. Except for SWMBO... Lend them out just once and you may lose a friend forever... ;-) (just kidding honey)

The only tool I do refuse to lend out is my chain saw... Tell me what you want cut, don't ask for my saw.

If somebody would ask to borrow something that I don't know, a simple "I don't lend my tools out" should work fine. If they're a friend they'll grunt and say ok, if not, then it's not really a loss now is it.

Just my humble two pennies worth...and ya get what you pay for in this world...

Reply to
bremen68

Depends on who and what, trusted friends who know what they are doing, no problem, neighbours however can only borrow what I can afford to lose (usually they ask and I end up doing it for them), that way I need not worry about fools injuring themselves.

Reply to
badger.badger

| In hindsight, I feel stupid for being so trusting of people.

It's almost impossible to trust without being disappointed occasionally. FWIW, I think the stupidity was someone else's.

It take a bit of courage to trust another person. Don't give up on it.

Morris Dovey

Who is your neighbor? Homer Simpson?

Dave Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Teamcasa

My definition of trust: someone telling you the truth over and over.

It happens a little at a time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nobody has asked to borrow my woodworking tools but, way back when, I got a rude awakening while working in a machine shop. Tools I needed on a daily basis would be borrowed but never returned. I'd have to go chase them down ... slowing down my own work. Finally I adopted a policy of only loaning tools to guys who left either their wallet or their full key ring as deposit.

That cut the flood of requests down to a trickle ... and then the trickle dried up when I wouldn't return a guys car keys until he coughed up my missing micrometer.

The boss got into the act and wanted me to return the keys. I told him I would ... if he (the boss) would agree to buy me a new mike ($60 for a Mitutoyo 0-1 mike) to replace the missing one.

Don't kmow how the guy got home that night, but I got my mike back early the next day.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

When in doubt, only loan out the cheap or old ones... I think it was Carlin that said "if a friend borrows $20 and doesn't pay it back, it was a good investment"..

Mac

mac davis

Some folks are like that. I had a friend who wanted to get a drill and i was explaining to him what to buy. Knowing that its quite expensive, I offered him my almost new bosch hammer drill for 15 pounds as i got too many of em as a goodwill measure. ( I can get used drills like metabo, bosch, makita, hilti quite cheaply)

He asked me if i will include free bit and later said, great, then he could just borrow from you.

I told him that i intend to sell it in a very new condition as as such cant lend him. Transportation would cost me $5 to and fro to pass him the drill and i really dont see why i should be incurring such expenses for whos trying to wring dry someone else. Goodness sake its $15 near mint

I thought he was opportunistic and stopped talking to him since.

Reply to
yuyu

Not NO but HELL NO! However, I would go with tool and help out if asked. No one uses my tools Not even the wife

byefernow wPm

Reply to
Buffalo