Do you lend your tools?

Page 3 of 3

YMMV!
I certainly would not loan out my tools indiscriminately.
However, I am lucky to live in a stable neighborhood with "neighborly" neighbors who help each other. We have liverd here 24 years and are nto the most senior residents. Many of of nearby neighbors have lived here 5 to 10 years.
We help each other in many ways. If one of us has a big project, it is common for others to just drop in to lend a hand. Often, when we lend tools, it is with two helping hands attached.
Over the years, many of us have developed specialty interests with collections of tools to match. Besides the specialty tool that you use once, we can also "borrow" the expertise that goes with it. One of my neighbors is a master gardener. Another works installing custom exterior trim for commercial buildings. I have a well equipped power tool workshop, as well as being a computer jock by day.
It is all a matter of trust. Over time, you learn who can be trusted to return a tool in good condition and has the ability to use it properly, versus the jerk who will either return a broken tool or forget to return it at all.
Reminds me of a childhood memory of my father lending out our extension ladder to a neighbour. We came home later in the day and saw the neighbour working with it: rope atttached to each end with each of his two sons pulling the ladder along the surface of a freshly topsoiled lawn i.e. levelling out the topsoil piles. One bad scene developed.

--
Monroe

Greg D. wrote:

That's why I keep the Craftsman power tools I mistakenly bought around. They usually only ask once.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Mac
Greg D. wrote:

I don't do it any more. I loan to my family, that's it.
I had a rototiller trashed by a neighbor.
I had a circular saw left out in the rain.
I lent a neighbor two big C-Clamps. He never returned them. He actually had the gall to hang them on his pegboard in his garage. When I asked for them back, he actually said "Are you sure your really need them? I wanted to keep them".
In hindsight, I feel stupid for being so trusting of people.
bf (in snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com) said:
| In hindsight, I feel stupid for being so trusting of people.
It's almost impossible to trust without being disappointed occasionally. FWIW, I think the stupidity was someone else's.
It take a bit of courage to trust another person. Don't give up on it.

My definition of trust: someone telling you the truth over and over.
It happens a little at a time.
Steve

Who is your neighbor? Homer Simpson?
Dave Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

When in doubt, only loan out the cheap or old ones... I think it was Carlin that said "if a friend borrows $20 and doesn't pay it back, it was a good investment"..
Mac
Greg D. wrote:

borrow a tool and you get me along with it sometimes! I have borrowed tools too. Sometimes my tools come back with a beer or two attached. Tools I borrow come back better than I got them. Once I borrowed an air hose. It had a leak at the fitting. A bit of Teflon taped fixed it right up. The owner didn't need to make a trip to the store, I had some handy. Used the hose for a couple of hours, brought it back in better condition than I borrowed it in. Life is good when you share.
<snip>

If somebody asks to borrow one of my tools it comes down to two things... 1. How long have I known them and 2. How long have I known them.
My friends and I swap tools regularly. If there's a problem, the borrower fixes or makes good on it. I've known these folks for years, worked with them alot and respect their integrity. Never had a problem.
I've heard the horror stories and such, I think we all have. You'll get that from any subject when it comes to lending stuff out. Except for SWMBO... Lend them out just once and you may lose a friend forever... ;-) (just kidding honey)
The only tool I do refuse to lend out is my chain saw... Tell me what you want cut, don't ask for my saw.
If somebody would ask to borrow something that I don't know, a simple "I don't lend my tools out" should work fine. If they're a friend they'll grunt and say ok, if not, then it's not really a loss now is it.
Just my humble two pennies worth...and ya get what you pay for in this world...
Greg D. wrote:

Depends on who and what, trusted friends who know what they are doing, no problem, neighbours however can only borrow what I can afford to lose (usually they ask and I end up doing it for them), that way I need not worry about fools injuring themselves.
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:21:42 -0400, Greg D. wrote:

Nobody has asked to borrow my woodworking tools but, way back when, I got a rude awakening while working in a machine shop. Tools I needed on a daily basis would be borrowed but never returned. I'd have to go chase them down ... slowing down my own work. Finally I adopted a policy of only loaning tools to guys who left either their wallet or their full key ring as deposit.
That cut the flood of requests down to a trickle ... and then the trickle dried up when I wouldn't return a guys car keys until he coughed up my missing micrometer.
The boss got into the act and wanted me to return the keys. I told him I would ... if he (the boss) would agree to buy me a new mike ($60 for a Mitutoyo 0-1 mike) to replace the missing one.
Don't kmow how the guy got home that night, but I got my mike back early the next day.
Bill
Some folks are like that. I had a friend who wanted to get a drill and i was explaining to him what to buy. Knowing that its quite expensive, I offered him my almost new bosch hammer drill for 15 pounds as i got too many of em as a goodwill measure. ( I can get used drills like metabo, bosch, makita, hilti quite cheaply)
He asked me if i will include free bit and later said, great, then he could just borrow from you.
I told him that i intend to sell it in a very new condition as as such cant lend him. Transportation would cost me $5 to and fro to pass him the drill and i really dont see why i should be incurring such expenses for whos trying to wring dry someone else. Goodness sake its $15 near mint
I thought he was opportunistic and stopped talking to him since.
Greg D. wrote:

Not NO but HELL NO! However, I would go with tool and help out if asked. No one uses my tools Not even the wife
byefernow wPm