Do you lend your tools?

Page 2 of 3

Depends on who wants what tool.
I did lend my miter saw to a guy for about a week. Deal was he'd get the blade sharpened when done. Came back in perfect shape and he paid for the sharpening. This is a guy that uses and respects tools so I had no worries.
OTOH, that was the only time I have been asked in many years. I like it that way.

I'd tell them I'd be glad to loan them any of my tools -- as long as they are willing to have me there operating the tool, too.
Otherwise, they should rent or buy the tool and do it themselves.
(I would probably make an exception for any of my brothers-in-law, 'cause I know they all know how to treat tools. Of course, I know this because I've seen them using their tools, and I'm sure any of them would go buy his own before asking to borrow mine ;^)
-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Really depends on the tool, and the person, and for how long Same with borrowing tools, if I can't repair it/replace it, I don't barrow it.
I "borrowed" my brothers router off and on for 3 years; worked out really well for both of us, he had a router he almost never used and only the round over bit it came with. I didn't have a router but got the bits and build jigs, table, etc. so any time he did need to use the router he had the accessory he needed. When I got my router I think he might have been a little disappointed that the base on mine matches his so he didn't get my router table, or some of my jigs, did give him so of the duplicate bits I had, I'll give him the router table when I build my new one, some day.
as far as lending things, I'll lend my Buddy Dave anything, simply because I trust him. For most other people me and the tools come as a package deal, "putting in a floor and need a compressor, sure I can come over and give you a hand with that."
The current working arrangement with my neighbors is more skills then tools, Jaime dose concrete, Tom's a welder, I do woodworking, etc. and we all leverage off each other.
Greg D. wrote:

Sure I will, but it depends on the person. My next door neighbor is more anal about his tools than I am. He borrowed an older , fairly abused tool that I no longer had use for, it died while he was using it, and he replaced it with a new one. Heck, I would loan him my wife, and I bet she would come back in better shape than she left! A few guys I know I would not loan anything to. Greg
By tool less do you mean no tools or fewer tools?
My experience is even those with tools use them stupidly. Have you seen this guy doing anything involving wood before?
It comes in levels or steps of trust. A neighbor with no tools I'd loan a hammer but not anything that could cut. A neighbor that had a hammer I'd loan maybe a hand saw but not a power one. A neighbor with a hand saw I'd loan an electric drill but not a power saw. I'd not let anyone use a power saw that I did not know had used a power saw before. They need supervision.
Would you loan say a circular saw to someone that did not own a hammer? Not!
Would you loan a chainsaw to someone that did not own any other power tools? Not!
If the guy was any kind of serious hobbyist he would be looking to buy his own. If he is doing the floor he probably is renting the nail gun. Is he also renting the saw to cut the flooring? Why didn't he also rent a compressor? Or did he forget that part. Compared to the cost of the flooring it should be nothing. I think your neighbor (or his wife) has been watching those install your own wood floor commercials too much.
Greg D. wrote:

I will consider a loan for most of my tools (loan without me being there). There have been very few situations where I came up short on the deal. There are a few tools that I would want some assurance that they know how to use it safely, such as the chainsaw or welder. There are few tools that I have which would represent considerable sentimental value if they were not returned. I learn something about each person who borrows from me.

If you lend be a $100, I'll tell you all about myself. For $500, you'd get written stores too.
Depending on who it is, I will loan my tools to a select few friends and neighbors. More often, I do the work for them. However, I may be in a bit of a unique position. I do a lot of work in my garage and in the driveway. So, to keep my neighbors happy and off my back, I do anything they want (within reason of course). It has paid off rather well.

Sat, Aug 26, 2006, 7:21pm snipped-for-privacy@none.com (GregD.) doth lament: Hi, I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to borrow your powertools.<snip>
The ld farmer's neighbor asked to borow his rope. The old farme told him he was using it to tie up his milk. The neighbor thought that over a minute or two, then said that was just plain silly. The old farmer came back with, "Any excuse will do if you don't wsnt to lend something".
JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.
Sat, Aug 26, 2006, 7:21pm snipped-for-privacy@none.com (GregD.) doth lament: Hi, I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to borrow your powertools.<snip>
The ld farmer's neighbor asked to borow his rope. The old farme told him he was using it to tie up his milk. The neighbor thought that over a minute or two, then said that was just plain silly. The old farmer came back with, "Any excuse will do if you don't wsnt to lend something".
JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

I just say "Sorry, I don't lend tools." Most of them just ask once. You can suggest a place to rent them. One neighbor did ask if he could borrow my extension ladder to change a light bulb, I said "Sorry I don't lend tools," then I went over and changed the bulb for him. I wasn't about to loan my $350 ladder out and possibly come back damaged.
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:53:58 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

When I moved into this house, one of my neighbours commented on the tools that were being offloaded and put in the garage.
The conversation went something like: "That's a lot of tools you've got there" "yes, I like to build my own furniture sometimes" "Oh, you know some of the cheaper pieces are quite nice now"
followed by an awkward silence .... they seemed to think I did woodworking to save money :-)))))
Since then, the topic has never come up again, suits me.
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Wow, that's come up in my own conversations with people - it's cheaper to buy. Maybe. But that's not why *I* woodwork, and obviously not you either.

I lend some, but not all things to a very select few friends. There is a longer list of people who can use my garage and about 80% of what's in it whether I'm there or not - though that is not a huge list, just longer than list A.

I find it more than a little odd that you consider him rude to have asked. I think that says more about you than about your neighbor for asking.

A fine personal perspective, but that's your choice on how to deal with the need.

A good start on a list of weak and contrived reasons to back up your position.

A long reach, but credit is given for at least keeping up the momentum of weak and contrived reasons.

You are developing quite a roll.

The only reason in your list that makes any sense to me. I consider you to be somewhat selfish, *but* at least with this reason you come clean and simply state that you don't like to loan your valuable tools. Then fine - don't. But don't loan them simply on the basis that you don't want to loan your valuable tools. Making up silly sounding contrived reasons does not convince anyone else any more than those reasons probably convinced you.
I would ask you though - have you ever borrowed a tool? Maybe before you amassed all of your high end valuable collections?

No Greg, it has not always worked out for me. Sometimes a tool gets broken. Sometimes it gets repaired or replaced, and sometimes it does not. Sometimes that hurts a bit. But I believe in giving back. I'm fortunate to have what I do and I try to extend that to others. I do take precautions and I do try to be smart about others using my stuff, but I don't hoard what I have.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Well said. To repeat, I'm glad I don't live in that neighborhood. [g]

I found this neighbor rude because he bought his house last year so I barely know him - I don't even know his name. He's doing a lot of renovation in his house so he seems to have enough money for that.
Not only that, he asked me about one month ago to split my TV cable and pirate the signal for him. Looks more to me like a bottom feeder who will do everything in his power to get a free lunch and a free ride at the same time. I'm sorry, but I'm not like that. Just there, there's an ocean of diffences between us.

I just feel it's too much too ask. For the same reasons I've stated, and even though I'm careful with tools, I feel it's just too much work to demonstrate to a neighbor I can use his tool carefully. I prefer to shell out 20$ and get a rental for one day. If I have enough money to afford a house, I must have enough to rent a tool.

Based on the feedback I had already on this topic, I think many more people think like me.

If you define selfish as being a person who don't want to lend any objects he owns. Yes, I'm certainly selfish when comes to powertools. But the problem is I don't mind lending other stuff. So can one be selfish and not at the same time? The reasons I have stated are genuine and not made up. I don't want to deal with that. Period.

Yes, I did borrow tools at some point in time. I've been extra careful with them and must admit, they belong to my father. So the trust relationship took a few years to build up and I've been up to.

There's also another aspect to this question. Where do you draw the line between being a good and resourceful neighbor to others or become a free tool rental store for all? When a neighbor talks to you only when he needs something from you (because he knows you have a great collection of tools), I don't know but I feel a little bit exploited. I'd rather see him interested in buidling up a good relationship with me before looking after my tools.
A relationship must be build up by showing care and interest for the others. When you get nothing of that and just a rude "request" to lend one of your tool, I'm sorry but he doesn't qualify yet to get one...
Greg D.

As is the case in a usenet forum - the more something is discussed, the more factors become revealed. Though this may or may not play into a decision on my part, it certainly does reveal more about your thoughts than your original post did.

I understand that. I don't cheat on that kind of stuff either. I find myself somewhat uncomfortable with others suggesting I participate in those things. Fortunately I have found that most people will respect my position on these types of things once I give a quick explanation that I don't do that. Those who seem stuck on the point, I put in the category of bottom feeder as well. What I have found is that these days almost everybody thinks a little cheating is ok.

the
That's fair - like I said, it's your perspective on how to deal with a need. For me, I and my circle of friends share tools constantly. If one of us has what the other needs, it's a given that we'll borrow what we need. It's a circle of people who all share a common respect for the values of the tool owner, and for the value of the tool. Hell, one of my friends has heavy construction equipment and I don't think twice about going up and picking up a back hoe or a bulldozer when I need them. He thinks nothing about calling me to come over and do some wiring, borrowing a circular saw, or some other need. We both know that our equipement or tools will be cared for at least as well as we care for them ourselves.

That may well be. I wasn't tallying votes, simply expressing my opinion in response to an open question.

broken.
what
Agreed - but that again was not part of your original post. My response stated that there is a select group of people I will loan stuff to.
--

Greg D. (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking | to borrow your powertools.
I generally smile and say yes. If it's a tool they haven't used before, we do a short tutorial on some scrap. I ask that the tools come back clean and within a week - and they usually do.
The strange consequence is that people will stop by my shop to give me tools (a radial arm saw, a box of pneumatic tools, etc) - and it's not always one of the people who've borrowed tools.
"Greg D."
wrote in message

A qualified yes ... to anyone who I know is capable and knowledgeable enough to use and treat them as I do.
Although I would rarely ask to borrow a tool, if I did, it would be returned to you in better shape than it was when I borrowed it.
Thanks, Dad! ... for that lesson, taught at an early age.
That said, on a job site I will go out to the truck and get my own rather than presume to pickup even something like a tape measure belonging to a man who makes his living using it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/21/06
Swingman wrote:

Especially a tape measure. Don't mess with someone else's measuring tools. I've calibrated four tapes to each other and to a master rule, and might get grumpy if someone snapped an end off one.
That said, there's not much reason for not lending some tools around here, while most of the rest are going to sit, no matter what. My table saw and air compressor and planer and jointer and bandsaw and lathe are way too heavy to be portable. For those, a few people have keys to my shop, and are welcome at any time if they need something, use or borrow. Others ask, and if I know them and their tool use habits, the odds are good they'll walk out with the tool. A couple could ask for a year and not get a thing, based on past experience (lost parts, lost tool, tool left in the woods for a month, that sort of thing).
As in many rural communities, though, most people around here have all they need in the way of tools, though it's not uncommon for someone like me, with a 24' extension ladder, to occasionally need to borrow a 28' or a 32' or a 40'.