Do you go through a lot of bandaids?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I rarely get through a day of woodworking without getting some kind of nick, scrape, or cut that requires some neosporin and a bandaid, whether it be a splinter or some other minor cut. Every Monday when I go back to work, just when I have recovered from the previous week's wounds, I'm sporting one or two new bandaids where I got myself over the weekend. Am I just clumsy or is this a common experience?

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

I do when I'm using/sharpening hand tools. I figure I'm good for at least one abraision or cut for each sharpening session, hahahaha. When I took a hand tool jointery class at FIT, I keep a box of bandaids in my tool kit.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Reply to
Dan Parrell

I was going through "splinter hell" when ripping some old rough lumber. I finally ended up putting on a pair of leather gloves. I now keep several pair handy and use them regularly when moving lumber. I also just ordered a "Silver Gripper" tweezers from Lee Valley to see if there's a better mousetrap for removing splinters.

I'm an old army medic and one thing I learned about cuts and abrasions - If you clean them properly and bandage pretty quickly after it happens, it will heal very quickly. Otherwise, the tinyest nick can get infected and turn red and sore and last for a week or two. I keep a bottle of Phisohex (banned from the market years ago) to scrub my nicks and scrapes. I know that sounds obsessive compulsive, but I must carve up myself as regularly as you do.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I'm a splinter magnet. I can't walk by wood without getting a splinter.

Reply to
mttt

Instead of Band-Aids, try super glue. I have found that it works better, and you don't advertise your nicks.

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

don't need no stinkun' Band-Aids.:) family trait to go through several a year. I have gotten better with practice. Most of my scrapes no longer draw blood. Those that do are often small and I will wear one only if it prevents my painting the wood I am working with. \ However I feel for you. I don't know how many times I look down at my hands and say "where did that come from?"

Reply to
Young_carpenter

I don't think I've ever seen a project that didn't involve the spilling of blood- often mine....

Reply to
Bridger

Excellent choice. There's also something called "Nu-Skin", a kind of antiseptic liquid bandage. Used that on my recent faux-pas with good results. Only thing is, mixed with blood, it makes it look like you've REALLY gouged yourself. Works for the pity factor. Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Same here, except I'm on aspirin and things that look like a paper cut tend to drip for a couple of minutes. Messy, especially when I don't even realize I cut myself (on a sharp tool) until blood is everywhere.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Are you serious? Wouldn't that burn like hell?

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

I suffered a near amputation of my right arm in a plane crash back in 1988. I still have my arm and it works pretty well (except my wrist no longer rotates like it used to) but I lost sensation in the outer part of my forearm. I seldom manage to spend a day out in the garage without wondering where the cuts on my arm came from. Both a curse and a blessing, I guess.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

No burn, and hospitals are using it. I think that they call it Dermabond and charge $80.00 per application. I have been doing it for twenty years. Or course, there are many situations that it is impractical...

Bob

Reply to
RWM

I have the tinglies (pins and needles) on the two outside fingers on each hand and on the outside of the forearms and similar stuff in the feet. Also, I can burn myself easily because of a delayed temp sensation - all from a broken neck football injury 42 years ago. Apparently, the 3 vertabrae fusion is adding a voluntary fourth at the bottom of the injury area.

Cuts and burns go un-noticed until the blood or BBQ smell :-(

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

CA Glue works wonders.

Reply to
Rob V

I'm always slitting my fingertips with well-jointed edges,

You're not alone.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Not as bad as you'd think.

I've heard an unverified story that CA glue (super glue) was originally invented for the medical field and heavily used for closing wounds in the Vietnam War.

I've personally glued cuts and played three sets of bass later in the same evening.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Eastman 910 preceded the VN war by close to a decade. It was the ingenuity of grunt medics in the field that made it medical. You use what you have.

Reply to
Greg

Probably a little from column A and a little from column B. :)

I'm finding I hurt myself less than I used to now that I'm more conscientious about, for example, keeping my off hand out of the way of whatever tool I'm using.

Most recently, the most dangerous tool in my shop has been the common $6 backsaw. I have one big scar and two smaller spots that have almost healed, all on my left index finger, all from cutting tenons.

Reply to
Silvan