Do you clean your TS trunnions?

Hi,

I've had my tablesaw for a year and I've run a bit of Pine through it. Now I've switched to Maple and some better stuff, but there's sure a lot of gunk (mostly sawdust stuck to lube I suspect) built up around the trunnion underneath my top. Do you clean this off? If so, how and with what?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

On 6 Aug 2003 21:45:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rmci.net (Mike) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

usually i take the shop vac and suck out the major debris about four times a year. then i blow the heavy "gunk and oil" laden stuff from the trunions and elevation/tilt mechanisms with the compressor, followed by a graphite lube to keep things moving freely.

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Hi Mike,

I've had my Delta CS II for 8 years. I make it a habit to check and retune the saw every year or so. While in the process, I give the trunions, pulleys, etc. a good vacuum, especially if I've been cutting a lot of pine. I don't use any solvents, just a shop vac and an awl, screwdriver, or putty knife for the stubborn deposits. I don't think sawdust build-up hurts the performance of the saw but removing any large deposits can't hurt either.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I use a blow gun powered by my compressor to clean off my equipment. For stubborn resin, use mineral spirits but keep it off any belts or rubber parts.

Reply to
Phisherman

What will mineral spirits do to rubber ? I use it alot to clean the gunk off my bandsaw wheels.

Reply to
David Binkowski

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:33:49 GMT, "David Binkowski" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

spirits or thinner can, over time, dry out rubber and thus make it crack. however, if you are just wiping the tires down with it, it might not be a problem. just keep an eye on them for the tell tale checking. on another note, i use the CMT brand of blade and bit cleaner to remove pitch and gunk from my bandsaw wheels, works wonders and is not drying like the spirits.

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Petroleum products can deteriorate rubber, but I'm not sure about bandsaw tires. One exception is methanol (Wood alcohol)--it is safe on rubber, but it is carcinogenic.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have a couple types of blade & bit cleaner. Will try that instead.

Reply to
David Binkowski

Carcinogenic everywhere, or just in the state of Kalifornia ?

Reply to
David Binkowski