Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

It was much better than when I was back in school and went on the dole for a 25 cent/week allowance...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

We should certainly go back to that kind of thinking and end the ridiculous welfare for life nonsense we have now.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Good, then maybe the illegals can stay home and pick crops in their own country. Works for me.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

About the same chance as there is of getting rid of the illegal aliens - somewhere between slim and none.

Reply to
Just Wondering

At least we got more for our money with WPA and CCC (a little something here and there) than we do now (which is nothing).

Reply to
Just Wondering

Yep, so effort would be better served towards something achievable...

Reply to
dpb

Yes...actually they were both pretty successful, overall for what their objective was.

--

Reply to
dpb

However the unions felt that CCC took food out of the mouths of union members who could have been doing the same work and WPA was criticized for overpaying liberal intellectuals to do nothing much.

And both did something that would be political suicide today, they allowed able bodied men into the program.

Reply to
J. Clarke

One thing I appreciate about the CCC is that they built and improved hiking trails and campgrounds in the national forests that are still around for you and me to enjoy to this day. If the federal government had been required to hire union workers to do that work it would have been cost prohibitive and never would have happened.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Actually the welfare reform act did...as one of the few actual political achievements of the 90's.....lifetime welfare benefits are limited to 5 years. There are many incentives and programs for education and job skills and the overall welfare rolls have fallen by 50 %.

The realistic problem is basic bottom tier wages are too low to buy food, shelter and medical....while many professions have jumped in purchasing power especially doctors, lawyers and politicians....the bottom tier has fallen significantly but many basic living costs have not. For example in

1976 (in the NW) a janitor made roughly $4.00 an hr today he would make roughly between $8-$11 and yet if wages had simply kept abreast with inflation his wages would be $15.80......$4.00 was not a flush living in 1976, ten dollars today is considerably worse. A medical plan in 1976 was $25.00 today roughly $300-400 per month.......Third world imports and legal and illegal immigration has flooded the bottom tier thus driving down wages while the top tier steadily protects itself from competition...not a fair playing field by any means.....Rod
Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

For sure... I spent quite a few years in property management and learned all about welfare.. what a rip off..

In my parents day, welfare or "the dole" was something that you avoided if possible and if you got it, you wanted to get a job and get off of it..

I rented to several 2nd or 3rd generation "career welfare recipients"... they'd never had a job or any income other than from our tax bucks... They lived better than I did, drove better cars, usually ate better and had little or no stress in their lives.. I complained a few times about tenants driving expensive classic cars and was told that the people driving them were smart enough to not have them in their names... and that it would cost more toenforce the rules then to just pay the welfare.. that's just wrong, IMHO

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Hasn't worked so far... not sure why but might be different picking seasons or just lotsa of workers??