Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Buddhism and (b) the whole point of the document you linked is that abortion is _acceptable_ under Buddhism under some circumstances.

Regardless, it's an opinion by someone whose relationship to Buddhism is not at all clear.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No, it's not. Perhaps Christian Evangelists have made it a hot-button item with them, but other religions are against it too. Some non-religious folks are as well. I suspect that there are many women and men in China who support it - and oppose it.

I see it as a conscience thing. I"m like Mike on this one. I have no intention of debating whether or not it's right. There are countless other forums for that.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Bingo, it's an individual conscience thing, and not a basis for condemning the whole nation of China. If there were universal consensus that it was absolutely wrong then things might be different, but there isn't.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I picked up an elective (Sociology) for, what I thought, an easy credit. I found it incredibly fascinating, but didn't make a career out of it

I did latch on to a lot of really cool information which came out of some studies. In Papua New Guinea, they found several tribes (this would have been in the 1950's) who had had zero exposure to western ideas, had no exposure to Islam or any religion. They did understand the concept of lying, stealing, murder all that 'wrong' stuff. The fact that they did it anyway had nothing to do with the discovery. They knew it was wrong. They also knew to help somebody was right. So this whole 'murder-in-the-womb' concept would have even been wrong to those in the jungle. We KNOW what's right and wrong. Different religions have merely capitalised on the fear aspect of 'wrong'...that somehow you can 'pay off' your sins, bribe your gods. Fear moulding the masses....now where have I seen THAT demonstrated lately......

oops...jumps off soap-box (made in ROC)

Reply to
Robatoy

Never said that. If you take the time to read what I wrote and try to comprehend it, you will see that the government nor the church matters to me in this case. You will also note that I did not say which side I'm on. None of your business, none of the government's business, nor is it the business of any religion.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

and that's where you are wrong. My business was growing at a reasonable rate each year. The operation was extraordinarily profitable from a return on sales and return on invested capital basis. The decision was made purely to try to squeeze out a little more profit.

I'm not going to quote direct figures but the volume of business is signifcantly off as a result of the strategy.

I think we may have discussed this before. Did the market demand the switch or did the corporate hacks just listen to their consultants and believe their BS about "conversion costs" etc? It was the latter not the former in my case. The customers for my product left *after* the move, not before.

There will always be a segment of the market that wants high quality and is willing to pay a reasonable amount more for that quality. If they can find it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I believe it happens often. Picture a company making this decision after listening to the consultants telling them how great it's going to be. Then they set up a time line and start to build bridging quantities in their U. S. operations that are being shut down. Then things don't go well with the transition. Those promises made by the Taiwanese brokers (who are really running the show) aren't kept. The bridging quantity gets depleted. You are facing a season with nothing to sell. So what do you do? You sell the stuff that is not quite right something you said in the beginning you would never do.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Frank Boettcher wrote: ...

Yes, but it's the size of that market that was under question here.

--

Reply to
dpb

In a lot of cases, especially in the U.S. it most certainly is. If you want to say it isn't SOLELY a Christian issue, you'd be right, but try telling that to groups like Operation Rescue.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Besides the fact that it isn't the Chinese companies that are forcing abortion on anyone, it's the government which has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the tools their companies put out.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

The question is, does that extra quality translate into additional capacity for the tool, does it actually work that much better than an "inferior" tool to make it worth the additional cost. There comes a point where miniscule improvements only come at a much more than miniscule cost. Does it really matter if your table saw top is flat within a billionth of an inch? Is it worth an extra 20% to get it that flat?

Most people would say no.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Because the Japanese could make a better product for less money, why shouldn't they take over the industry? They earned it!

The question you should be asking is why the U.S. completely wasted their superiority.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

The hard part is finding out exactly where that point is on the curve. Yes, I'm willing to pay more for accuracy. For 20% more, it had better be noticeable. At 10%, it had better be useable. At 5%, there is a certain satisfaction knowing the tool is capable when needed, even if never needed to that accuracy. If I can spot the differences at ten paces, it is worth the extra. If I need an electron microscope, to tell the difference, I'll pay something less of a difference.

While tools made in China is the question here, the same set of rules applies to other purchases as well, even made in the USA versus made in the USA. Most everything is engineered to be barely acceptable in the name of lower price and/or more profit. Would I pay more for a Delta made here? I did buy a hose reel for the garden this year and paid $179 if that helps answer your question. Last one I'll ever have to buy and it works great

Edwin Pawlowski

I thought that the Chinese and the Taiwanese refused to acknowledge each other.

Reply to
J. Clarke

... snip

... and the Delta tool line was one of those places that people were willing to pay for that quality.

Now the consultants have been paid, the switch has been made such that recovery to the pre-change state is most likely nearly impossible, and the executives are left with a dwindling market in that segment with a high return rate and higher warranty costs. You know what that means, right? They are going to have to bring in some highly paid consultants to identify the problems and get recommendations for turning things around.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well, I know that there quality sink strainers available, why not buy quality and or American to begin with? Are you complaining about products being manufactured in China and at the same time buying them? You are seeing first hand why these jobs are going to other countries. You don't want to pay the price that the Americans want to charge.

I certainly recall when Japan sold to the US just like China is now. Until Japan started dictating the quality instead of letting the American importers dictate or decide on the acceptable quality Japan did not have such a rosy appearance either. If Americans importers imported the Quality China products we would see better products.

Reply to
Leon

I gotta agree with you hare Bryan. The simple fact is, the world economy is changing at a fast pace. Either learn new skills to keep up your comfprt spending level or fall backwards.

The simple answer is that those that think you can maintain the Status Quo and get paid the same are the ones that are in control and letting every thing slip away.

Reply to
Leon

I watched the transition in the quality of Japanese steel.. from tin can quality to better than ours (US).. One of the reasons is that the Japanese government underwrites research and renovation..

Back maybe 10 or 15 years, I watched a documentary on the steel industry and they were pointing out that Japan was tearing down it's oldest steel mill and rebuilding it to be better and efficient... and that the newest steel mill in the US was almost 100 years old... Same thing happened to our auto industry... the Japanese did their homework and found out what the American people wanted and made it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Been there, done that, but it sort of drives home my earlier point about quality, not country of origin..

Biscuit jointers looked like a cool tool, but I wasn't ready to pay $150 to find out... I bought one on sale at HF for $20 on sale.. Made in China and it was a POS, but it made me realize that biscuit jointing was a useful concept.. My wife then bought me the Craftsman/De Walt version... Also made in China, but IMO a good tool that has lasted for years so far..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Precicely! Most of the China imports are simply the best quality for the amount of money spent.

Reply to
Leon