Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Page 13 of 16
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:34:44 -0800, mac davis

Or jumping the border.
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:58:32 GMT, Brian Henderson

not worth it.. they can make more in Mexico at a good job than in the States picking grapes..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:29:02 -0800, mac davis

Tell that to the 12-20 million illegals that are here then. Please invite them to go the hell home.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Yeah, the key phrase before was "in Mexico at a good job" -- there are sadly few of those available given the population and very little effort, it seems, by the government to resolve the issue except by dumping their excess on their northern neighbor.
Then again, it's essentially impossible to find a native-born "'Murricun" who'll actually show up to work in many labor-intensive areas while we pay who knows how many millions to stay on welfare...
The system is terribly broke and seemingly irretrievably so unless and until there becomes a watershed change in overall opinion at more than the scattered grassroots level.

It's really interesting how much difference employment is here and in the States.. In the States, anyone can do any job that they can do and can get..
In Baja, a gringo can't do any thing that would take a job away from a Mexican national.. no bartending, landscaping, building, etc..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Yep, if the US had the same rules as the Mexican immigration rules, the government of Mexico would be screaming at how unfair and evil the US rules were.
From what I've read, you had to provide some fairly substantial information regarding your ability to support yourself in order to be allowed to build in Mexico, is that a fair assessment?

As with other things, the US has TONS of rules... they just don't enforce them..

regarding your ability to support yourself in order to be allowed to build in Mexico, is that a fair assessment?
Hell, it was a bitch just doing the paperwork and stuff just to move here..
Tourist visa, "FM3", (sort of a green card"), bank account with at least $1,500 each in it, passports, itemized list of household and personal possessions being "imported"... which has to be approved by the Mexican consulate in the States..
Just goes on and on... Also, they wanted $1,400 import duty just for the tools that were on the moving van... They (border inspectors) said that I had way too many tools for it to be a hobby... The customs broker got them down to $600 and I thought that we did ok.. Beats buying all new stuff and paying 15% duty on IT..
Oh.. big difference between here and the States: We needed proof of both US and Mexican insurance on all of our vehicles..
As to income verification, we found out that 55 and older can claim "retired" and not need verification, so we put my web and turning income (done on computers and tools made off shore. to be a bit OT) down as my wife's, since she was really the one retiring, not me..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Of course not, the Mexican government is getting rid of their poor and criminals by giving them maps and instructions how to go north. So long as the U.S. allows Mexico to pull this crap, we can't solve the problem. What we really need to do is take a couple million illegals back to the border and push them all across at once.
On Nov 28, 2:08 pm, Brian Henderson
[snipped for brevity]

Can't do that... You'd lose the cheap semi-slave labour.
I watched that whole thing go down in Europe. Everybody was too good to work as garbage men and work on the roads. So, in case of the Dutch, they brought in Turks and such. Now there are mosques all over the place and the Dutch are going: "WTF happened here?" If they're not careful, it will be the Dutch who'll be lined up at the border ready for deportation. But the cheap labour was nice ... for a while.
There ain't nuttin' fur nuttin' and payback is always a bitch.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:02:57 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Good? I've got no problem requiring American companies to follow American labor laws. That's why they exist.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:08:08 GMT, Brian Henderson

As much as the illegal immigration thing bothers me, and don't EVEN start on that "undocumented citizens" BS, I think that by not enforcing the laws in the past, we've built a huge part of the economy by using illegal's.. Common quote by farmers when I lived in California was "get rid of 50% of illegal's and 90% of agriculture goes belly up"
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:12:40 -0800, mac davis

That's complete crap though. You don't allow people to break the law just to stay in business, if you cannot compete within the bounds of the law that everyone has to follow, you shouldn't be in business to begin with.
The simple fact is, get rid of the illegals, require all employers to follow the same labor laws and if the prices go up, they go up. That's life. Then maybe they can actually COMPETE in a free market.
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:34:34 GMT, Brian Henderson

No disagreement here.. I was stating what has been allowed to happen, not that I thought it was right.. My point is that you don't need new laws, you need to enforce the ones on the books.. tons of immigration laws, just enforce them..
Like all the new laws about using cell phones in the car... We already have laws to cover drivers that aren't paying attention, reckless, etc... just enforce 'em..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:46:41 -0800, mac davis

That's true, I'm just sick of all the politicians who refuse to actually do their jobs because they don't like costing themselves votes. As far as I'm concerned, anyone whose job it is to enforce the law and refuses to should be removed from office immediately and replaced with someone who will.
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:21:43 GMT, Brian Henderson

Totally off topic, but I think government went to hell when they invented a career called "politician".. Used to be you got talked into running for office and if you won, you did your term and then went back to whatever it was you did for a living.. Now, kids are groomed almost from birth to run for and hold office.. YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 10:05:43 -0800, mac davis

The poster child for that is now a "temporary resident of Iowa".
<WWE announcer voice> CT's own, Chrissssss Dooooodd!. </WWE announcer voice>.
Daddy was a Senator, Chris has never had a real job, and now he hasn't even been bothering to vote in the Senate, as he pursues a Presidential campaign that doesn't even register in the primary polls. He can't register in the primary polls, because he has nothing to show for 30 something years in Washington, and no real platform. I'm quite sure he feels he should run for Prez. based simply on seniority, he's due the job!
Dodd is such a pompous ass that he told the Hartford Courant, "Though I haven't done well in the polls, at least I'm enjoying myself." All CT voters should be glad for that! <G>
The idiot has actually rented a home and enrolled his children in school in Iowa, so he can "be close to the people", while ignoring the job we pay him to do.
We deserve what we get, as we continue to elect on name recognition and govern without the benefit term limits.
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

... snip

Another poster child: Hillary Clinton. She moved to New York solely to run for office and now claims that her qualification for office is that she was married to the president and has been in the white house before (paraphrasing). That, and it's "her turn".

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:12:17 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I hear ya'!

I am NOT a Billary fan, but as I recall, she's had a few real jobs, hasn't she? Now, as for her husband, THAT is a career politician..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

About the only one that you could count would be her stint at the Rose Law firm and there is some question that even that was more of a tie-in to Bill to curry favor while he was governor of Arkansas (White Water, cattle futures, etc).