Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Page 2 of 16

Most of what I've got to say isn't just about tools, but about all 'precision' purchases (i.e. optics, electronics, etc.).
Since I'm not in the US, I don't have any personal allegiance to tools made there. My first choice is made in Canada, just because that's where Lee Valley makes their Veritas line. :-)
Aside from that, it's a matter of quality first and political support second. Right now I'm avoiding as much Made in USA stuff as possible. I'm sad to see the country sliding as much as it is, but politically they're one of the most aggressive offenders right now, and labour costs are making their stuff overpriced more often than not.
"Made in Japan" has gone from being a sign of junk to being a justification (not just an excuse) for premium pricing in under 20 years. Made in China is doing the same thing now, and the curious state of affairs is that there are some VERY good items coming out of there, mixed in with the endless streams of crap. Handmade craftsman stuff will be outrageously expensive no matter where it comes from, because of the work involved. Manufactured stuff is as good as the manufacturing equipment, process, and quality control; and that is simply a matter of crunching numbers and deciding what market to go after. The 'cheap labour' countries have a big potential advantage in this, because they can reach the top of the market just as easily as anyone else, but for less money. China is starting to exploit this now, whereas India isn't.
I'll buy the quality I want (usually the very best I can afford), and only look at the "made in..." label if I need a second differentiator.
Colin

I couldn't care less, I buy for quality and price, if it does what I need it to do at a price I'm willing to pay, I buy it. The U.S. needs to be able to compete in a world market, artificially picking inferior tools at higher prices just because of where they were put together is foolish.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Certainly I wouldn't buy an inferior product just because of it's country of manufacture, but there is also more to life than cheapness.
I don't want to live in a country which sinks to China's level in environmental policies, lack of labor protection and government enforced one-child-per-woman laws. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with forcing women to have abortions if they are about to have an unauthorized second child?
I'm all for commercial competitiveness, but it is not possible to compete price wise with a competitor who has a much lower set of safety, environmental, intellectual property and human rights standards.
John
John Horner wrote:

<rolling eyes> They have more than four times the population of the US in the same land area. They have trouble feeding all the people they have. Further, they are not and have never been a Christian nation or a nation that owes any part of its heritage to any religion that is part of the heritage of Christianity, so no, on no count is it wrong for the Chinese to require women who have been so irresponsible as to become pregnant in violation of the law and common sense to have abortions.
Much else that you percieve as "wrong" about the way China treats its population is the result of having more people than they have work for.

I seem to recall the same complaints being made about Japan 40 or so years ago. If you want them to act like they're in the First World you have to pull them there. Boycotting them is just going to delay the day.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm not a Christian either, so I don't see what that has to do with this.
You must realize that not all laws are just, eh? Legalized slavery in the US was never just, although it was legal.
John
John Horner wrote:

So if you are not a Christian then what is your basis for the allegation that abortion is wrong?
--John

Quite possibly the forced aspect of it, I'd guess.
Charlie Self wrote:

If it's not morally wrong then why is the forced aspect of it wrong? The women know the law.
--John

So if someone makes a law saying you have to eat two servings of pickeled pigs' feet per day, you should obey because you know the law?
My father loved 'em. They make me puke. That kind of force is wrong.
Charlie Self wrote:

No, if the law says that if you scratch your balls in public you have to eat two servings of pickled pigs feet you shouldn't scratch your balls in public unless you are willing to eat two servings of pickled pigs feet.
It's not a case of being forced to do something with no antecedent, it's a case of one act being the consequence of another.
--John

I just know I'm going to regret touching my toe into a religious diversion, but abortion is not a Christian issue.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

No, it's not. Perhaps Christian Evangelists have made it a hot-button item with them, but other religions are against it too. Some non-religious folks are as well. I suspect that there are many women and men in China who support it - and oppose it.
I see it as a conscience thing. I"m like Mike on this one. I have no intention of debating whether or not it's right. There are countless other forums for that.
Tanus
Tanus wrote:

Bingo, it's an individual conscience thing, and not a basis for condemning the whole nation of China. If there were universal consensus that it was absolutely wrong then things might be different, but there isn't.

--John
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:11:20 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Besides the fact that it isn't the Chinese companies that are forcing abortion on anyone, it's the government which has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the tools their companies put out.
Brian Henderson wrote:

The majority of Chinese companies are in fact owned by the government.
John Horner wrote:

You might want to check again. While China is nominally Communist they have in fact recognized that Taiwan and British Hong Kong were eating their lunch and so they have implemented a number of free trade zones that work on a capitalistic system.
--John
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:05:55 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

In a lot of cases, especially in the U.S. it most certainly is. If you want to say it isn't SOLELY a Christian issue, you'd be right, but try telling that to groups like Operation Rescue.

You have to be a Christian to be against abortion? If you are non-Christian are you automatically pro abortion? You're smarter than that.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Fine, give me the basis on which one non-Christian religious denomination opposes abortion and a source for their official statement on the matter.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

AFAIK, each religion has some sort of precept against the killing of innocents (what their definition of "innocent" is may be a little convenient for them and not so much for somebody else, but don't think anybody counts the unborn in that group)...
There are quite a few folks w/o much strong connection to any organized or formal religion who find the practice for "casual" reasons or as "morning after" birth control as repugnant on general principles irrespective of others' viewpoints as well.