Do shelf supports like this exist?

I have a cabinet with adjustable shelving which is open on opposing sides and I'm looking for ways to secure the shelves from sliding out. I'm using standard shelf pins like this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 8&cookietest=1 but I realized someone should make a version with another pin sticking up (instead a hole or a friction pad) which I can drill holes in the bottoms of the shelves to accept. Rockler and Lee Valley don't have anything like it, though, so it probably doesn't exist :-) I suppose I could put pins in the bottom of the shelves that would fit into the holes in the supports I have now, but that's not as pretty a solution. I want to maintain ease of shelf rearrangement. Is that the best I can do?
Gordon Airporte wrote:

Actually, I have seen some designed to provide a friction fit, but don't have a source offhand...

What is often done is rather than just setting the shelf on the pin, rout a groove on the bottom side of the shelf for the pin to set in...invisible, no hassle in moving/rearranging and fairly easy to do w/ a jig/template to cut the slots consistently.
dpb wrote:

I have several "store bought" CD/DVD racks that use this. It has straight pins set into the side of the cabinet (like these http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 9). They cut a square groove the full length of the shelf. The OP could route ones out only long enough to accomodate the pins.
dpb wrote:

Oh, good call. I'm sure I've seen this on flat-pack furniture before but it didn't jump to mind. I think a forstner bit is the way to go - easier to jig and work with than a router.
Shoot a brad thru the hole in the support and into the shelf. It will remain proud of the shelf underside enough to hold the shelf but you wont see it.
Art

Wood Butcher wrote:

I don't think you quite hit the nail on the head; this solution is a little tacky ;-)
Gordon Airporte wrote:

A. One can make the shelf a close fit between the cabinet ends and make shallow dados in the shelf ends to fit around the clip.
B. Use a screw through the bottom hole of the clip into the shelf...that's why it is there.
C. Put a face frame on the cabinet so it retains the shelves.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH (in d9oIg.1966$XD1.1049@trnddc01) said:
| A. One can make the shelf a close fit between the cabinet ends and | make shallow dados in the shelf ends to fit around the clip.
This is what I do - and it works well to both hide the support and prevent the shelf from moving. I have a small sample in the shop and, if you'd like, can snap a couple of pix when I go to the shop tomorrow.
| | B. Use a screw through the bottom hole of the clip into the | shelf...that's why it is there.
If you go this route, you should only need one screw on each end. I'd put through the back shelf supports where id'd show least.
| C. Put a face frame on the cabinet so it retains the shelves.
Also a good way to go. Don't fasten the face frame to the shelves. :-)

This would be fairly easy to jig up, good idea.

These solutions make it harder to move the shelves around.
Gordon Airporte wrote:

Screw does, face frame doesn't. I must have 100+ shelves in my house, most all supported on those KV clips. I don't think a single one of them has ever been moved once set up...
--

dadiOH