Do I want a new square ?

Page 2 of 2

More and more these days I use take fewer measurements with the tape measure and or rule and or a square. The square that I trust are the relatively cheap aluminum "Speed Squares". They are heavy duty and are not likely to ever be knocked out or whack. I find that setting up my equipment correctly and accurately results in pieces going together such that rechecking square is non necessary. If you make a square cut, pieces are going to fit squarely.
Add pictures here
✖
Jim In FL wrote:

Some things to look at:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2696 http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2697 http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMCTLG &PMAKA†400454
Add pictures here
✖
Jim In FL wrote:

Pay $5 for a large Staedtler plastic drafting triangle. Very accurate, quite inexpensive.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖

Now, this looks really handy:
http://tinyurl.com/tufo2
I had to find an inside angle and ended up using both my T-bevel and protractor head on my combo square. This would do it, easily.
I think everyone should have a decent combination square set. The center finder is reason enough.
http://tinyurl.com/qurmnw
nb
Add pictures here
✖
Chris Friesen wrote:

Excellent thought.
Add pictures here
✖

Personally, I bought a 12" Starrett combination square when I was starting out and haven't regretted it a bit. You can trust it to be accurate, can take pride in a nice tool, and can be sure you'll use it almost every time you're in the shop. IMO a good combo square is a must have in a woodshop.
JP
Add pictures here
✖

Yup, a 16" combo, a vernier caliper and my trusty Bosch digital protractor. Oh, I also have a few Swanson Speed Squares lying about the shop. I find final assembly much easier when all the pieces fit :-)
Add pictures here
✖
Chris Friesen wrote:

As stated else where spend the money for a speed square that will have the same accuracy and not break the first time you drop it on the floor, set something on it, or a hundred other things that are not suppose to happen to good tools.
I picked mine up at K Mart to exhaust a gift certificate for Christmas. It has become my most use shop tool. Marking wood, setting up the table saw, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Nothing wrong with a good speed square, but I hope by responding to the post about the plastic drafting triangle that you're not suggesting a person should *not* have such a thing... I have several, and while not a replacement for a speed square (or a good precision try square or machinist's square) they are a *very* useful item to have around the shop. That and a good dial caliper. <highjack> And for gawd's sake, if any of you don't have a good dial caliper, GET ONE. This one is a fine choice:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 47
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I wind up spending several minutes admiring the calipers when at the local industrial supply place. I've got a good venier caliper, but not a really nice dial caliper. It's on my birthday present list, though.
Back to squares, my combination square gets a lot of use. The speed square seems a little rougher and doesn't get as much use.
Puckdropper
✖

And for gawd's sake,

Add pictures here
✖

Same here, but it does get used when I'm planing wood.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Careful, you could go blind. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

I have one and used it a lot before getting my digital one. I use it all the time now, I especially like checking the depth of holes and slots with it.
Add pictures here
✖
CW wrote:

Really... I guess I found other ways to measure things before I got one, but I don't know how; I'm *constantly* reaching for that thing (or trying to find it, which reminds me of the "Pencil Principle" - buy multiples and leave them everywhere). My next door neighbor even went out and bought one after he spent an afternoon helping me (on one of his projects) and he saw all the different ways I was using it, and he's not even a woodworker!
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Jim In FL wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

A good 6" machinist combi square is my fave tool. Extremely accurate and very handy.
A good place to look for machinist tools is ebay. Companies in the business of selling these tools are hanging on at inflated prices or have already gone under. Amazing deals can be found on ebay. I tried to sell one of my extra micrometers (brand new) on ebay at 60% off. Didn't even get a nibble. Since USA no longer makes anything, anymore, machinist tools are just rust collectors. Can't give 'em away. So sad.
nb
Add pictures here
✖